Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Market Basket protest is killing me!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I need to food shop so bad but I want to support Market Basket too.  I love MB and the only other options I have left is the super expensive Stop & Shop or Shaws.

I hope they resolve this soon because it is not only hurting the company it's hurting the customers too!

UPDATE to include history

Longtime Market Basket Chief Executive Officer Arthur T. Demoulas was fired last month by a board controlled by his rival and cousin, Arthur S. Demoulas, angering many of the company’s employees and putting the supermarket chain’s future plans in question.  (There has been a protest going on since Friday by most of Market Basket employees. Shipments have haulted to most if not all stores).

After an employee rally Friday, the company fired eight supervisory employees who urged workers to pressure the company to reinstate Arthur T. Demoulas.  Shoppers on Monday reported bare shelves and limited supplies of fresh produce and meat at Market Basket stores throughout the region.

Spokesmen for Shaw’s Supermarkets and Stop & Shop did not mention Market Basket directly when asked about how the company’s feud was affecting their respective businesses. But both chains reported more customers visiting stores Monday and Tuesday.  “We have experienced some increased foot traffic in several stores but everything is business as usual,” Stop & Shop spokesperson Judi Palmer said Tuesday.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM

What is the issue?

MissMandaz
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM
What are you talking about?
imakehimscream
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Never heard of the company. Why are they protesting?
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Huh?
R00k
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM
I don't know what this place is. I don't know what any of those places are. Grocery stores, I'm sure. But they aren't around here at all. I don't know what people are protesting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Oh sorry...I should explain for people not in the region:

Longtime Market Basket Chief Executive Officer Arthur T. Demoulas was fired last month by a board controlled by his rival and cousin, Arthur S. Demoulas, angering many of the company’s employees and putting the supermarket chain’s future plans in question.  (There has been a protest going on since Friday by most of Market Basket employees. Shipments have haulted to most if not all stores).

After an employee rally Friday, the company fired eight supervisory employees who urged workers to pressure the company to reinstate Arthur T. Demoulas.  Shoppers on Monday reported bare shelves and limited supplies of fresh produce and meat at Market Basket stores throughout the region.

Spokesmen for Shaw’s Supermarkets and Stop & Shop did not mention Market Basket directly when asked about how the company’s feud was affecting their respective businesses. But both chains reported more customers visiting stores Monday and Tuesday.  “We have experienced some increased foot traffic in several stores but everything is business as usual,” Stop & Shop spokesperson Judi Palmer said Tuesday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Are you in MA or RI? Those are the only places I've been to with those stores.

I love market basket, but in this situation if you don't want to go to MB, I'd go to stop and shop.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Yeah, it's definitely a huge inconvienience. I've been trying a bunch of the other stores around here and I'm spending so much more than I normally would.
It's nice to see people stand up for what they believe in but with that being said.. I worked for the company through out high school and some time after that (almost 10 years) and they never had an HR department and management could pretty much treat people however they wanted. That company is in need of some major change.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I'm in New Hampshire.  Stop & Shop would be my choice too.  Unfortunately, the one near my house has a very limited seafood section and they do not sell shellfish (a staple for us in the summer because of the low prices).

Quoting Anonymous: Are you in MA or RI? Those are the only places I've been to with those stores. I love market basket, but in this situation if you don't want to go to MB, I'd go to stop and shop.

xomrs.chase
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM
We have been so anxious and stressed.

They are considering ATD's offer to buy the company. No decision has been made yet. :(

Thanks for your support!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)