Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just want my child to have nice things

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Hi,

My husband and I grew up poor so we made sure that if we ever had a child we could afford to give him nice things within reason. Well if he shows us good behavior at home, daycare, church and other places we reward him. Also, we were the last in our circle of friends to have a child. A lot of our friends travel have things that they had made overseas for him.  Well I keep those things put away because the items cannot be replaced or I cannot afford to replace them.

We have a few children that come over and their parents do not redirect them or stop them from going into the off limits areas. I even had a child in my husband's office messing with his things and tearing up the other rooms that children are not supposed to be in without an adult. Also, they have child locks but some of the children can open the doors.

We have a large playroom with a bathroom, changing room and eating area for the reason of keeping everyone in one spot. Basically, we have a spare room in addition to the playroom that we allow for use for changing diapers, clothes, etc.

I really do want the children to play and have fun but now I have to replace toys, a family heirloom quilt, dvds and try to find a friend with copies of my husband's first concerts because those discs are now damaged. Not to mention our wedding day dvd.  I am so hurt I do not know what to do.

Ages range from newborn to 6. Two year olds being the worst

Advice anyone?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this
stop inviting those kids who can't follow rules
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM
If you know who damaged your property, I would be asking the parents to replace the item(s).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Stop inviting people over who can't control their children.
KristaP13
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM

If their parents won't correct them, you should. If the parents don't like it, don't invite them back. 

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

how old are the kids?

zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Do play dates at public areas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM

When my children were young, they would leave the "nice" toys alone and grab an empty oatmeal box or some pot & pan lids and play with them instead.

sam12796
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I am sorry you had your items damaged. That stinks the parents were not more on top of that. I would say something to the parents and say hey you know these areas were off limits and your kids did it anyway and precious family things were damaged. Then just do not invite them back over. Possibly invest in locks on rooms you don't want people in the next time to save you some heartbreak.

Kriskash25
by Kristina on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Yeah I cut off friends who had passive parenting styles or I started saying if you wont discipline your child while your in my home I will. I put their kids in corners, grab them by ears, put one down for a nap who kept throwing a fit and even spanked my nephew who punched my kid. People either stop coming over or they are quick to take care of their kids when they do come over lol.
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Quit inviting them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)