• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever filed for bankruptcy? Need help please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
So I have made more then enough stupid choices when I was younger and now I'm so far in debt it's not even funny. I've never had a credit card but it's all debt from, medical, banks, little loans, apartment, and student loans. Well one of my medical loans is already garnishing my wages and I'm being sued for another and have court on 9/3 for it. Only thing is if they garnish both then I will not get a paycheck at all. I work 36-40hrs a week (we are not allowed over time) I just got a raise to 9.50/hr. My rent alone is 1000 it's the cheapest in my area. I was thinking of filing bankruptcy because I can't even afford to live let alone have extra money to pay all of these off.
Only thing is I don't have the slightest idea of what I'm doing, I've tried Google but just got more confused, it says I have to take 6 months of a class before I can file, then I have to get and pay for an attorney, I don't have time to wait on classes nor do I have a car and everything for this is 45/1hr away as it is.
My boss thought maybe I could call and ask them to start it all when I finish my first one that way my whole check isn't gone.

Any ideas ladies please no bashing I want to make this better I'm just lost. Sorry if it's long.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Bump
1LovelyAngel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:49 PM

BUMP!

1LovelyAngel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Hopefully you'll get answers

mtfarms
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM

You need to check the garnishment laws in your state.  In most states they can only take a certain percent of your income.  Student loans are not discharged through bankruptcy. 

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:53 PM
I don't know much about bankruptcy other than it should be your last resort but it sounds like you're there unfortunately. In most places there's a limit to how much total can be garnished & it's usually 50% so you MIGHT be ok there. I would start doing some serious research on the laws in your state. Many years ago I almost filed until I found out that creditors couldn't garnish in Texas so they just had to wait but I think Texas might be the only state where they can't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:55 PM
We filed chapter 7 last year and it was discharged in February. With the online classes and lawyer and filing fees it was about 4k. They will not discharge student loans.
1LovelyAngel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:55 PM

lol i knew you'll get some answers good advice about garnishment

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM
I think the laws for filing bankruptcy has changed since I filed in 2008. All I did was contact a lawyer ($1200). They pretty much did everything for me. I had an over the phone interview with a debt management company. As soon as I filed they stopped the garnishment from my paycheck. The bank that was garnishing my wages sent me a check for all the money that they previously took. I had one court date and it was discharged.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM
I just wish it wasn't so dang expensive, I looked online for my state and all together it will be about 4k. I don't have that kind of money. The check I got on Tuesday was for 74 hours in two weeks and it was $480. They are taking out 70 for the first garnishment and I have court on Sept 3 for the second. I called and they say they can only take 25%. So at the end of the month I'll get paid around 750 a month.

Quoting Anonymous: I think the laws for filing bankruptcy has changed since I filed in 2008. All I did was contact a lawyer ($1200). They pretty much did everything for me. I had an over the phone interview with a debt management company. As soon as I filed they stopped the garnishment from my paycheck. The bank that was garnishing my wages sent me a check for all the money that they previously took. I had one court date and it was discharged.
Texasladybug84
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Bankruptcy lawyer. My xdh did 500.00 then then 500.00 later. You go to court and the people you owe to can show up and protest it but with my xdh they didn't. Anyways you can pick and choose most times what you want to put in and keep out. But call around and ask bankruptcy law firms.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)