Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen slammed for taking smiling selfie at Auschwitz

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM
  • 34 Replies

View image on Twitter

People will take selfies just about anywhere nowadays – even at concentration camps.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Jfc, it's part of history. Her smiling in a pic there doesn't mean she agrees with the killing of Jews. She's a teen girl taking a picture.
mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think she meant anything by it, but I do think it's in very poor taste.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Agree

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: I don't think she meant anything by it, but I do think it's in very poor taste.

SophiasMommy911
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM
I think its very distasteful but at the same time i really dont think the girl took the picture meaning to be disrespectful.
KristaP13
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Very poor taste. I couldn't imagine having a smile on my face walking through Auschwitz. 

Momniscient
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I've been to Auschwitz. And Dachau. And the Jewish cemetary in Prague and the Ann Frank house and the Jewish ghettos of Budapest and Prague and Berlin, and have smiled during some of them. Because I am human and because people react and deal with things in different ways. That doesn't make them unfeeling or horrible or anti semitic. It means she is a teenager posting to social media. That's what we do as modern humans this doesn't make her a monster--just a self indulgent teenage girl. I'm guessing some of the bashers are more monstrous than this girl. 

jjames0991
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Agreed!  

I  am Jewish.  My 88 year old father was in Auschwitz as a child.  His tattoo is hardly noticable now.  But he let go of what happened years ago.  And people need to lighten the hell up.

Quoting Anonymous: Jfc, it's part of history. Her smiling in a pic there doesn't mean she agrees with the killing of Jews. She's a teen girl taking a picture.

ajdahd13
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM
I can't imagine taking a selfie at a place like that, but she's a teenager and they do stupid stuff all the time. And honestly, a lot of people automatically smile when taking a picture. It's just habit.
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM

What disturbs me the most is her comment "I'm famous!".    If a selfie at a concentration is what it takes to be 'famous', heaven help us all. 

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM

This reminds me of how disconnected with the world and reality most teens are these days. For people who understand and have studied this topic this is a very somber place. But for those oblivious to all the pain, who see history as some movie that didn't really happen it's no big thing. A lack of ability to empathize and understand the world is to be pitied in my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)