• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this rude or fair?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

My sister is having a family dinner with a few guests, my aunt, uncle, a cousin or two, her adult kid and his GF and invited DS and I. 

I accepted and then she told me I'll have to bring my own food because we're vegetarian and that I can't use the kitchen because she'll be in there, so I'll have to make it at home and bring it there.

Here's the thing, we've been vegetarians for years, it's not new so she knew well before asking me and planning this meal we don't eat meat and probably could cook something we could join in with.  Heck even bbq we can join in on (potato salad and corn woot!)

She planned an entire meal she knew we couldn't eat, invited us and THEN told me I had to bring our own precooked food.

In addition to that, everytime I invite her family over she always says "you're not going to make gross vegetarian food are you?" before accepting or declining.  I ALWAYS make her some meat dish.  

Am I being sensitive or is she being rude as hell?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM

She's way out of line.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this

She's being rude.  If she's always been like this then I wouldn't be surprised when she says you have to bring your own food.  I probably wouldn't go though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I always thought the rule was you accomodate invited guests food restrictions.  That's why I cook meat for people, or when my jewish gf comes over I make sure to cook kosher.  Ok... I can't cook kosher, but the deli down the street does and they do dinner catering.  But you get my point.

Quoting casah4:

She's way out of line.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I am likely going to call and cancel.  If she'd told me before hand I'd have declined the invite.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's being rude.  If she's always been like this then I wouldn't be surprised when she says you have to bring your own food.  I probably wouldn't go though.

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM

That's pretty rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
No shes not you are the onne who chose that lifestyle you cant expect your family to make a bunch of extra dishes just for you.
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM

She is rude.   I would politely decline the invitation and probably wouldn't accept anymore from her.

CadillacCutie
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Seems rude to me.

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM

She is out of line.  If I invite someone and I know of dietary restrictions I will make a dish for them.  It does not take anymore effort and who knows another guest may enjoy that meal more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM

She's being rude.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)