Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have stupid parenting questions. Sorry.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
Well... I was taken from my mom at age 4 due to drugs. Then placed in a ton of foster homes and then adopted by the most abusive family you'd ever imagined. Needless to say... I have no idea about good parenting and have no one to lean on or ask for help. So please just bare with me.

My daughter is 2 months. I nurse. I know solids are introduced around the 4-5th month? How will I know when to nurse and when to feed solids? Is it weird that she literally nurses every 45 mins? It's exhausting but of course I do it.

Another question- should she ALWAYS wear a hat or just when it's actually cold outside?

I know I can ask my doctor and I will. But we don't have an appointment for another month.

Thank you
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinkerxbell
by Danger Will Robinson on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Start her on solids slowly, one at a time. She wont need much.. I always nursed my son before I fed him.. And no, she doesn't need to wear a hat all the time.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM

yes, nursing that often is normal during a growth spurt

no, a baby does not need a hat at all times, the rule is dress them as warmly or cooly as you dress yourself

pochaccotx
by Lost on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Join the breastfeeding group on here they can help you
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM
You could delay solids, if you wanted to. You could also start as soon as 4-5 months. Baby gets his main calories and nutrition from breast milk.

Hat isn't necessary unless it's cold out.

Nursing every 45 minutes sounds like a growth spurt. Those are always fun lol
zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Introducing solids is mainly for taste and texture.  So start slowly with one specific food and stick with that food for the first week or so, then you can introduce another.  Her main source of nourishment will still be the boobs!  As far as hats go, I really only put hats on my children when it was cold.  We live in colorado, so our winters can be brutal.  If we were out in the summer time, I would keep them in the shade as much as possible then TRY to put hats on them if out in the sun, they never kept them on.  As much as she's nursing, she's hitting a growth spurt, that's common and completely normal.

TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Your questions are not stupid. On the contrary, you are wise to seek out answers when you are unsure! 

Good job, mom. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM
You don't introduce solids until at least 6 months. If your are bfing, your baby doesn't need solids until a year. Dd didn't eat much for solids until she was about 10 months old. They will nurse that often when they are growing :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Solids at 6 months, one new food a week at a time.
Nurse before offering solids.
Baby needs to have lost tounge thrust reflex. Be able to sit unassisted, and mastered pinch grasp, before offering solids. I personally think self feeding is better than mushed foods

Young babies nurse a lot. More often and longer during growth spurts.

I never really used a hat with mine. They didn't stay on anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
These questions are not stupid. You're doing great!
mom2bahandcch
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM
These are definitely not stupid questions.

Breast feed when ever she wants, it keeps your supply up.

No, she doesnt always need a hat.

You can wait until 6 months for solids if you want, and she will still get all she needs from your milk. Solids dont give them nutrition at that age anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)