Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult Step Children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
Would love to hear from women who have dealt with these relationships & your experiences😃
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames0991
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I wish I had a positive one to share, but I don't.  My SS came to live with us years ago, as soon as DH and I got together and did nothing but cause issues from day one.  He is now an adult and we don't have anything to do with him.  He never got over his parents divorce. (We met AFTER the divorce) and he quickly learned how to play the guilt give me what I want game.

However, my step father and I had a great relationship up until his death a few years ago.  We never considered ourselves step family.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I think a lot of it depends on the circumstances of the remarriage.  Was there cheating involved, ect....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I'm going to become an adult step child this month.
caito
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM
I'm an adult stepchild. I think of my stepmom as a second mom. My stepdad is more like the guy married to my mom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I am the adult step-child. My mom re-married and I'm polite to her husband....that's about it lol. I don't have any feelings good or bad towards the guy, he's simply tolerated. I'm nice to him but he's just some dude to me. My brothers feel the same way. 

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the adult stepdaughter.  My own father died just before I turned 16 and my mom remarried when I was 22.

My stepdad is a better father to me than my real dad was.  He treats my boys as his own grandchildren and is the proud Grandpa showing them off to other people. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM
I don't have experience of having an adult step child but I became an adult step child 7 years ago. My dad started dating his current when I was in college & married her a couple years after I graduated. My relationship with her is different then it is with my stepdad, who has been in my life since I was 13. Plus my stepmom is only 10 years older than me (the same age as my older sister). So I don't necessarily look at her as a mother figure but she is without a doubt family. She's a grandma to my child & I have a lot of respect for her & enjoy spending time with her. Plus I want my dad to be happy, which he is.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM

My husband and BIL have an amazing relationship with their stepfather. He has always treated them as his own, as have his whole family.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
You know, thanks for the honesty & I loved what you wrote but especially the part where you want your Dad to be happy😃So mature & adult of you! He's a lucky man.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't have experience of having an adult step child but I became an adult step child 7 years ago. My dad started dating his current when I was in college & married her a couple years after I graduated. My relationship with her is different then it is with my stepdad, who has been in my life since I was 13. Plus my stepmom is only 10 years older than me (the same age as my older sister). So I don't necessarily look at her as a mother figure but she is without a doubt family. She's a grandma to my child & I have a lot of respect for her & enjoy spending time with her. Plus I want my dad to be happy, which he is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Great to hear! Mine has treated my girls like his own & it's nice😃His children however have never takin the time to know or talk to me.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

My husband and BIL have an amazing relationship with their stepfather. He has always treated them as his own, as have his whole family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)