• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking frozen food camping?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
We are camping next week. I want to bring frozen chicken I already have, but what about thawing and keeping it fresh? What dinners do you do when you camp? We are going for 4-5 days, I usually do dogs or sandwiches, but I'd like more, dinner type dinners.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM
DH usually just brings the castiron skillet, and tosses a bunch of stuff in it. You can get frontera mix (or just some salsa), and do fajitas.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I wouldn't bring chicken unless you have access to an endless supply of ice and eat it in the first day

I can't think of anything worse then food poisining while camping!

CadillacCutie
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Frozen chicken should be fine, as long as it doesn't stay thawed to long. We usually bring burgers and hot dogs.
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I freeze just about everything that we aren't going to use the first day. We do onion bombs, (seasoned hamburger in a ball with a layer of onion wrapped around it in foil), hobo potatoes with sausage or bacon and veggies, grilled chicken, everything. I've even made meatloaf over the camp fire. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM
We do have unlimited ice. We camp at a private campground that has a building with an ice chest full of bags of ice. I'm just thinking of the thawing part. We camp, but never take frozen food, but we usually go for a couple days.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I wouldn't bring chicken unless you have access to an endless supply of ice and eat it in the first day

I can't think of anything worse then food poisining while camping!

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Anything we're grilling the first night, is just kept cold in the cooler.  Everything else is kept frozen and well packed in ice.  We take 3 coolers.  One that's meant to act as a freezer so that it's only opened once a day, another with perishable "fridge" items, and another for drinks that's opened all day long every day.

We just recently got back from camping and I marinated chicken breasts in italian dressing, and then froze it all.  Kept in the bottom of the cooler til the 2nd day and it was sufficiently thawed by that point but no where near warm.

Editted to add... I pulled the chicken up from the bottom of the freezer cooler the morning of the 2nd day and just laid it on top and then closed it all up, otherwise it would have still been frozen like everything else in that part of the cooler.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM
That's what we do too. Just got back from 2 weeks of camping :)

Quoting ShellLea:

I freeze just about everything that we aren't going to use the first day. We do onion bombs, (seasoned hamburger in a ball with a layer of onion wrapped around it in foil), hobo potatoes with sausage or bacon and veggies, grilled chicken, everything. I've even made meatloaf over the camp fire. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Thank you:)

Quoting Ginger0104:

Anything we're grilling the first night, is just kept cold in the cooler.  Everything else is kept frozen and well packed in ice.  We take 3 coolers.  One that's meant to act as a freezer so that it's only opened once a day, another with perishable "fridge" items, and another for drinks that's opened all day long every day.

We just recently got back from camping and I marinated chicken breasts in italian dressing, and then froze it all.  Kept in the bottom of the cooler til the 2nd day and it was sufficiently thawed by that point but no where near warm.

Editted to add... I pulled the chicken up from the bottom of the freezer cooler the morning of the 2nd day and just laid it on top and then closed it all up, otherwise it would have still been frozen like everything else in that part of the cooler.

AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I wouldn't take frozen foods, but provided you had a good place to keep it, sounds good.

They have a lot of suggestions for camping staples and recipes. 

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Do you have a Dutch oven and a cast iron skillet? If so there is no limit in what you can cook. You can make lasagna, cobblers, casseroles. Take some foil and make foil pouch dinners. Google the recipes. You can cook anything while camping if you have the proper cooking utensils.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)