• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog owners

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

We recently got a dog last week. When we went and got her the previous owner gave her a stuffed toy and she chewed it into pieces in seconds. She's tried stealing DS's stuffed animals. Now they have to stay in a box. She also thinks all of his ball toys are hers. She's already popped 2 of them. She popped his favorite a couple days ago. I hate that it has to be he can't have a ball and can't play with his toys. There was also a time where DS pushed one of his cars across the kitchen floor and she ran over and picked it up in her mouth and ran off without it. She has toys of her own. Have you had a problem with your dog? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:23 PM

yep, sounds like my house too, DS just has to learn to keep his valuables out of the dogs reach

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM
How old is the dog?
dlock25
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM
My girls understand the living room is the dogs play area. Anything left is fair game for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Our kids know that their toys are to be in their bedrooms, with doors shut, or in the garage to keep our puppy away from them. Make sure the dog has PLENTY of his own toys and redirect him EVERY time he gets one of your kids' toys.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Quoting Anonymous: How old is the dog?

megz0511
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM
How old is the dog? You probably just need to train her better. When our mastiff was a pup we used to keep his toys in a laundry basket, which resulted in a lot of socks eaten. So I put all his toys in a wicker basket instead of plastic and after a while he got it. We also crate trained and no matter what anyone says, it's never too late to crate train.

We also still have a problem with our dane grabbing up ds's basketballs, but he's old and doesn't keep them too long lol.
mommyflaw
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM

My dog was a rescue and he does the same thing. How old is she? Mine is less then a year and he is gradually learning those aren't his and my kids are learning to keep their toys in their rooms. You can't expect a young dog that came from a house with no kids to know exactly how to act in a new place with new rules.

JC2223
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Correction and redirection. Take the child's toy away, firmly say NO and give the dog it's own toy. Don't buy like toys, meaning don't buy the dog kids toys, make sure they are only dog toys. You can also rub the dogs toys in dry dog food. This will help them determine their toys from human toys by scent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I have but we trained her on "leave it".  I also have her in a routine where I give her two toys and a bone at the beginning of the day and remove them at bedtime.  I swap them out each day to keep her entertained.  Between that and the leave it command, she learned to respect what it not hers. 

zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Get the dog a toy box and redirect the dog back to its own toys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)