Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone have a child with noise sensory issues i need help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
What steps did you take to leading a normal life? My son has severe noise sensory issues and ive tried just about everything
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM
I teach special ed. We use noise canceling headphones. A distraction like a weighted backpack or Velcro under a table can help too.
gradysmom2006
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM
My daughter doesn't like loud noises. But it's not life interfering. We just don't do thing super loud. No open windows in the car.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM

My daughter is ASD with sensory issues, and noise is a big problem for her. What I have found helps with her is having an MP3 player when we are out and about. She is finewith noise she can predict and control. It's noises she can not predict or control that create havoc for her.

It is different with every kid, though. Noise cancelling headphones help a lot to control unwanted sounds.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM

have you read The Out of Sync Child?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
I have tried regular headphones but i.have not tried specifically noise cancelling because i.was under the impression they only cancel out background noises not human voices

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter is ASD with sensory issues, and noise is a big problem for her. What I have found helps with her is having an MP3 player when we are out and about. She is finewith noise she can predict and control. It's noises she can not predict or control that create havoc for her. It is different with every kid, though. Noise cancelling headphones help a lot to control unwanted sounds.

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM

They drown out the ambient noise- the hum of sound that surrounds you. It cancels out a LOT of the excess sound.

Quoting Anonymous: I have tried regular headphones but i.have not tried specifically noise cancelling because i.was under the impression they only cancel out background noises not human voices
Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter is ASD with sensory issues, and noise is a big problem for her. What I have found helps with her is having an MP3 player when we are out and about. She is finewith noise she can predict and control. It's noises she can not predict or control that create havoc for her. It is different with every kid, though. Noise cancelling headphones help a lot to control unwanted sounds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Ok great sounds like i really need to get some

Quoting Anonymous:

They drown out the ambient noise- the hum of sound that surrounds you. It cancels out a LOT of the excess sound.

Quoting Anonymous: I have tried regular headphones but i.have not tried specifically noise cancelling because i.was under the impression they only cancel out background noises not human voices

Quoting Anonymous:

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Ear plugs and ativan work for me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)