Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For the moms who spank

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I have a question that I have always really wondered about. If spanking is the ONLY effective form of punishment for your specific child and it is the only thing they respond to, then why do you have to do it so often. If it was so effective then wouldnt it only need to be used occasionally. To clarify occasionally, I mean a few times a year. I know so many parents that use spanking as a form of discipline and it seems like are having to resort to it at least weekly and some people daily. I am just really curious. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM
It's not the only , so idk. I find it hard to believe people out there only spank and don't use any other form of controlling their bratty kid
vettechmom88
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM

my boys are older now, 13 and 17, so of course i dont spank anymore, but when they were young i spanked. however, it was an absolute last resort, and if they got spanked (always hand on covered bottom), they knew shit had gotten serious, and it was never for anything mundane, always something severe. so i dont know why spankers do it often, either. i can count the number of times my kids have been spanked combined on probably one hand. my ex husband, though, was spanked all the time, for everything, and it wasnt long before it lost its effectiveness completely. he knew hed get spanked for the most stupid stuff, so he just didnt care anymore and still did what he wanted. so youre right, spanking as a regular form of discipline can backfire.

"Never judge a man by how he treats his peers, judge him by how he treats his inferiors." ~ Albus Dumbledore

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM
FFS
Amybelle
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM

the Horse never seems to die no matter how often it's beaten

PoisonEyeV
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM

BabyBrooke13
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I don't know any spankers who ONLY spank . . . spanking is only used in my house in certain circumstances . . . more often than not we use time outs, positive reinforcement and negative/positive punishment techniques . . .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM
We only spank for certain things and she listen.

But when she likes to hang over my dads shoulder and he spanks her butt she legit laughs cause she thinks its funny. Its only for fun.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM
DS has been spanked a handful of times. It's a last resort for a major offense.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I spank my kids when needed, but have probably only really spanked either of them 3 or 4 times and they are 9-1/2 and 7. Usually the threat of the spanking is enough to change the behavior pretty quickly. Disprectful behavior and not listening will get spanking in our house, but like I said it is rare to have to go to that. We start with time-outs or chores and spanking is a last resort if the behavior keeps up.

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM
It's not the only way. If it doesn't work and only logic works on your kid, why does your kid not use this imparted logic and not act up? It could go both ways. I only spank if the offense is severe. Or if I've tried every other option and it hasn't helped stop the specific offense.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)