• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you wear to a funeral??

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM
  • 33 Replies
My grandmother's funeral was today. I wore black Capri (dress pants not denim). I wore a black and white top.

My cousin wore yo go pants and a tank top. Her husband wore shorts and a t-shirt.

My other cousin wore water shoes. Um really?

I felt like I was one of the only ones dressed appropriately.

If you don't have much money would you still have something in your closet to wear?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM

yes, I work, so I have professional clothes in my closet

ilovecandy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Muted colors. My little sister showed up to our great grandpa's funeral in hooker heels, bright red silky tank/halter top and skinny jeans. That one made me sigh loudly. Everyone else in the family wore muted colors or dress suits and such....no no....not my sister....
LCJan21
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM
I usually wear jeans and a nice black top. Water shoes seem definitely inappropriate to me.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this

my rule of thumb is, if it's ok for a job interview then it's ok for a funeral

cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM

When my father passed away, I wore a black dress with small white flowers on it to the memorial, and a navy blue dress for the viewing. 

There were a few people that dressed inappropriately, but for the most part people dressed well. My father was a very well respected man though...People seemed to automatically go a step further for him.

The only one that I think was COMPLETELY inappropriately dressed was my (then)15 year old neice. She was wearing a black sequined minidress(damn close to a micro-mini), and RED 5 inch heels. It took everything I had in me(and I was NOT controlling myself all that well in the days just after losing my Dad) to not say something to my sister about it.

Gianna2014
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I'm in maternity clothes now, so if I had to go to a funeral, I would have to go out and buy something specifically for it.

Under normal circumstances, I wear my work clothes. Either a black business suit with a skirt or dress pants (depending on my mood) or my charcoal gray business suit, with a nice blouse.

cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM

As to the last question about money...

I didn't have a lot of money. My dh had (unbelievably) gotten laid off from his job the DAY my Father died. Even so, we went to Ross, and I bought those 2 dresses and a pair of shoes for 50 bucks total.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I bought a new top for my grandfather's funeral... For $3 at Bealls Outlet. Bit I had a skirt and shoes in my closet. I think what is appropriate to wear depends on the deceased person and where the funeral is at... But in general yoga pants are not acceptable for anywhere but the gym and around the house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM
I wore long black gaucho pants, a plain shell crimson satin top with a sash, and black heels to my 5year old nephews funeral in april. His favorite colors were black and red, so his parents asked every one to wear black and red in his memory. My hair was in a modest bun with a black satin bow. My dh wore new pressed dark blue jeans, a black button down, a black vest, and a satin tie that matched my top, and black dress shoes. I stressed so badly over what to wear bc I wanted the colors to be perfect for him, I broke down in jc penneys and was bawling in the mens section while looking for my dhs vest.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I would wear a black dress or suit with hose and heels.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)