Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why does everyone say baby food is not good for them??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Until i joined CM i never heard baby food was not good for babies. That it lacked nutrition etc. When i look at ingredients it says peas and water, or mango and water. I dont understand how that can be less healthy than me just mashing up some peas or mango. Isn't it the same thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It is the same thing. Sanctimommies just need things to feel superior about.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM

no, something made in a plant will never be as good as something fresh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM
But it still has all the same nutrients and vitamins etc doesnt it?

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

There are way more preservatives in jarred baby food. 

j3st3r
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I didn't do purees.  I have seen it said much more often that baby cereals lack nutritional value.

Compared to what you may be replacing- breast milk or formula- baby cereals are crap.

However, I would guess the difference between home made purees and jarred purees is the same as the difference between fresh and canned peas.

polkaspots
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Jarred food that's been sitting on a shelf isn't nearly as good as fresh. You also don't add preservatives to your food. Also, we don't give purees at all, we just give regular food. Spoon feeding them teaches them to just swallow without chewing, giving them actual food teaches them how to eat and gives them control over how much they're taking in.
For me it's not just the nutritional value, but also the actual act of having them sit down and eat just like everyone else. I've never really had a problem getting a baby to eat their meats or vegetables.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM
No. Food loses nutrients when processed. That's why they add preservatives to processed foods, to slow down the loss of nutrients. It will most likely have all of them, but in a lower quantity with added chemicals and water, which aren't necessary at all.

Quoting Anonymous: But it still has all the same nutrients and vitamins etc doesnt it?

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Wouldn't they have to put tbaton the ingredient label?

Quoting Texor:

There are way more preservatives in jarred baby food. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM
I used to give my daughter beech nut and gerber. Gerber peaches taste good. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Companies have to pasteurize baby foods in order for it to pass FDA standards. In the process, the cooking destroys some of the nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Thus making it less nutrient dense at the time of feeding to your baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)