• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Binkys***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
My first son had a Binky till he was ab 7 months. I snuck into his room one night and took it. It was easy as that.

My youngest only had a Binky for 3 months. Then he no longer wanted one

Thankfully. They have beautiful smiles. No over bites. Perfectly straight teeth (for now)

My niece on the other hand used a pacifier till she was 3. HORRIBLE over bite. Her mouth is not pretty at all.

I understand we use the Binky as a soothing tool, but doesn't anyone think of the long term effects of using one? I knew that if I let my boys use their Binky longer, their mouth and teeth could be effected.

My niece even used the ortho pacifier. Designed to not effect the mouth.

I know not all kids have this problem, but some do.

Not my kid, not my business. Yeah yeah. I get it.

Just something I wanted to say

The end.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Ehh, sometimes orthodontics is a family issue.  DS1 clearly inherited issues from my MIL and much of her family.  He used the binky until 2.  My other kids used briefly.  DD sucks her thumb - dentist doesn't see any issues with her teeth (beyond that one is dead).

quirky_mama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Both of my dd used binkys for about the same amount of time. My oldests teeth are perfectly spaced but my youngest's teeth aren't spaced quite as uniform and she has a slight over bite. I'm not saying the binky isn't a factor but I doubt it's the only factor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM
My gf still allows her dd (3) suck on a paci, and she has one terrible over bite. Cute baby, very bad teeth.. /:

I hope she can get it fixed

Quoting quirky_mama:

Both of my dd used binkys for about the same amount of time. My oldests teeth are perfectly spaced but my youngest's teeth aren't spaced quite as uniform and she has a slight over bite. I'm not saying the binky isn't a factor but I doubt it's the only factor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Yup. My husband brushes and floss every day. Has since he was a kid. He still is missing a fee teeth and they look horrible. But every time he gets a new dentist they are always like, you just have bad teeth. That sucks.

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Ehh, sometimes orthodontics is a family issue.  DS1 clearly inherited issues from my MIL and much of her family.  He used the binky until 2.  My other kids used briefly.  DD sucks her thumb - dentist doesn't see any issues with her teeth (beyond that one is dead).

skittlefart
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

We got rid of my first's paci around 13 months or so i think? he cried for a few weeks when going to bed without it but then he got over it. 

my second never had one so no problems there :) 

photo summerbabies_zps1e9f58e9.jpg
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM
My DD never used one but I think it mostly has to do with lazy parents who don't want to deal with taking it away.
km1970
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Neither one of my girls took a binkie or sucked their thumbs yet they both need braces. My oldest just got hers off earlier this year, my youngest will get hers on the beginning of nex.

mab05
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM
dental shit is mostly genetic.

my middle kid had a paci til she was over 2. minimal overbite. no one but the dentist noticed.

My youngest sucks her thumb. she's 3 and a half. again. minimal overbite.

remove yourself from your high horse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM
I had braces too. I had one tooth that was slightly crooked. I had my braces for 6 months.

But my brother, poor thing- had his for four years...

Quoting km1970:

Neither one of my girls took a binkie or sucked their thumbs yet they both need braces. My oldest just got hers off earlier this year, my youngest will get hers on the beginning of nex.

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM
I actually wanted to appologize to the mom of the 10 year old dd with a binky. I said it was gross then like 7 pages of comments later she updated with a picture saying that the dd doesnt suck on the binky, she just has it. I wanted to tell her I assumed she was sucking on the binky when I said it was gross. The post poofed before I can appologize though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)