Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to move to a different state?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM
  • 35 Replies

My husband and I want to move to the ocean. How do we go about doing that? We will have $10,000 in March of next year and want to do it then. My husband is an EMT right now. He is looking into how to get his EMT license in Texas (where we want to move). But I can't see him getting a job BEFORE we move because the drive back and forth would be 15 hours. So should we just pack up our things and move? Stay in a hotel while he finds a job and look for a place at the same time? Is that irresponsible? Is $10,000 enough to last us? I also get $340 in child support a month that we would use for food. My Dd's dad lives in Texas and would be thrilled with us moving there.

I really just need advice. We are sick of this freaking state (Oklahoma) and we aren't getting any younger. We have always wanted to live by the ocean. If anyone has some good advice about how to move to a different state, please share! Thanks!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HipsterElephant
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM

bump

TwoPennies
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this
There's no ocean near Texas. It's the Gulf of Mexico. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is.

Eta: 10 grand may buy you 3 mos in a hotel, you'll have fees for storing your belongings, fees for moving and fees for deposits.
I'd suggest 1-2 apartment/house hunting trips over a long weekend while dh job hunts. There are a lot of border issues these days the farther south you go in Texas. Just use caution and you'll be fine.
FWIW: the Austin area of Texas has a good economy, good schools and a great wealth of things to do.
dawnjohnson5
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Just gonna watch. We are thinking of doing the same thing, from Texas to Tennessee.
Lynnster327
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Even though it sounds like a lot those 10,000 will go fast. Me and SO had 12,000 twice and it was gone in two months. We spent it al on groceries, rent and remodeling our home. Even though it's not what you plan to do its just money will go to fast specially when your trying to move and look for a place and on top of that live somewhere where you would have to pay to stay everyday. Hopefully he can find a job right away. Do you know anyone you can stay with.
mammabear87
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I saw "elephant " in your name and read the title " how to move an elephant out of state"

Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

The Gulf of Mexico is nasty! 

Why oh why would you move to Texas for the Gulf?  There are so many other places that are so much prettier!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM
It's never a good idea to buy right away. Rent a small place for a year while you find out where you really want to live.

As for the job front, it's the 21st century! Skype n the like are your friends if your hubby has the skills needed :)
jcm28
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM
I say rent apartment first. Can ex help look for one?
HipsterElephant
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Yes we are planning on renting a small 2 bedroom. BUT no place will rent to you unless you have a job first. 

He works at a security company that has locations nationwide as an EMT right now. He's thinking they may be able to transfer him to Houston. The thing is though, that they don't pay for the move so it would have to wait until I got my settlement money in March. (I got hit by a fork lift in Home Depot). SO I wonder how that would work. That might be our best option though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM
The Gulf of Mexico is considered part of the Atlantic Ocean.

Quoting TwoPennies: There's no ocean near Texas. It's the Gulf of Mexico. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is.

Eta: 10 grand may buy you 3 mos in a hotel, you'll have fees for storing your belongings, fees for moving and fees for deposits.
I'd suggest 1-2 apartment/house hunting trips over a long weekend while dh job hunts. There are a lot of border issues these days the farther south you go in Texas. Just use caution and you'll be fine.
FWIW: the Austin area of Texas has a good economy, good schools and a great wealth of things to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)