Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop Donating Dirty Out of style clothing to the clothing drive!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our church is having a clothing drive for back to school. Families donate their used clothing to help out poorer families in the community. So far we have received dressed from the eighties,stained ripped tshirts and clothes with holes on them. There is no way I can give these to children in the community. I am stuck with boxes of unusable clothing that even charities will refuse. Rant over.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM
6 moms liked this
Beggers can't be choosers. If you don't like the donations go spend your own money and buy what ever you want.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I always go through things before I donate to ensure they are in top shape and not gross. Some people might not realize though so bump for you. I would also try reaching out to local stores and corporations and ask for donations there as well. 

Good luck and I hope you are able to help many families in need =)

belindah
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I volunteer at a place that gives donated clothes to low income.  We do not mind getting clothes that are outdated, after all style come back.  However the clothes that smell of cigerette smoke, cat pee, and animal hair (due to allergies) we have to throw away. 

mommyflaw
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

When I had to get clothes from a clothing drive I didn't give the slightest fuck if they were out of style or dirty. They were warm and wearable and since I couldn't afford them I was happy to have them.

zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Reach out to local summer camps, they donate their lost and found at the end their seasons. You'll need to wash them, but always a lot of nice name brand short, tees and tanks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Quoting belindah:

I volunteer at a place that gives donated clothes to low income.  We do not mind getting clothes that are outdated, after all style come back.  However the clothes that smell of cigerette smoke, cat pee, and animal hair (due to allergies) we have to throw away. 

Do you know of a place at all that takes things like ripped t shirts and holy pants? I heard of recycle places but haven't the faintest idea where to go. We cannot afford to pay to have these things disposed of.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM
The non-profit I volunteer for does a garage sale each year. We get a ton of unusable items. It's the nature of the beast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Contact local mechanic shops about the t-shirts. Some use them as rags.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting belindah:

Do you know of a place at all that takes things like ripped t shirts and holy pants? I heard of recycle places but haven't the faintest idea where to go. We cannot afford to pay to have these things disposed of.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM

IF people are down on their luck enough, it wouldn't matter what condition the clothes are in.  Beggers can't be choosers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommyflaw:

When I had to get clothes from a clothing drive I didn't give the slightest fuck if they were out of style or dirty. They were warm and wearable and since I couldn't afford them I was happy to have them.

I am glad for you that you were helped. I don't feel that young ladies that attend my daughters middle school will be comfortable in woolricn pleated skirts down to their ankles or amish style dresses. When I donate things to help the school I don't mind a little stained or small holes but I don't want a child to have to deal with a nursing home residents clothes.It will hurt that child far more with ridicule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)