• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teens and work

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello All,

I am new to this site. I was just wanting to get the opinion of other mothers regarding teens and part time jobs. At what age will you be expecting your teen to get a part-time  job? I have two boys. One is 11 and the other is 14. The 14 year old lines for soccer and time keeps occasionally for hockey. Just wondering thinking about when I should encourage him to go get a part-time job? Any thoughts?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM

My sons job shared a fulltime babysitting job when they were 12 &13 for the summer. Both my kids worked pt afer school/weekends once they hit 14.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:32 PM
I started babysitting every weekend at age ten, started my own pet sitting business at age 11. I always tutored on the side, age 16 I started working at the local grocery store.

No excuse for an able bodied kid not to be learning some responsibility and financial management by age 12 in my opinion.
cybcm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM
I'm in Australia where the official working age is 14 and 9 months, however there are jobs that kids younger can do.

The rule in our house is a job once you hit working age, partly as a lesson in financial responsibility, but also because it's very difficult here to get a starter job as an adult, many places won't train an adult when they can train a junior for half the price.

My 14 (and 11 month) old started a new job at an electronics store two weeks ago, she works Thursdays 3pm-8pm and Sundays 9:30am-4:30pm. Peior to that she did home deliveries on her bike for a pharmacy, delivering things to elderly housebound customers.

My 17yr old teaches piano at the community center Wednesdays and Thursdays after school and Saturday mornings.

My 20yr old, when still at school did cleaning at a veterinary clinic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM
My teen wants a job. She is 15 but around here it's very hard for teens to find work because so many adults are job hunting or second job hunting
CameraMum
by Anne on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM
My son started working this summer, he turned 18. He has babysat and watched pets for the neighbors since he was 14.
MrsGerbode4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I started working as soon as I turned 14. I worked 10-5 on weekends during the school year and 10-5 Monday-Friday during the summer.
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I never had a set age. When they decided that they wanted things like clothes and shoes that were outside of our budget that is when I would tell them "If you want that stuff then get a job and buy it yourself until then you get what I can afford" Usually in 6 months they had a job. Most of them were about 14/15 when they did. If they are in sports I don't encourage it but won't discourage it either I just give them the facts of life about trying to have a job, practice, games & homework all jammed in there too and then let them make their own decision. When they graduated HS they were expected to get a job unless they were in school. 

Meepandstitch2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Thanks very much for all the responses and good advice! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)