Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sometimes I wonder if dental care is a scam

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
My boss was talking about when he was growing up he never brushed his teeth. He lived in Nepal and they just didn't do it. He moved to the US at 18 and only occasionally brushed. He's now mid 30s and had his first ever dental appointment 3 months ago. His teeth were perfectly fine. The dentist cleaned, brushed, checked them out and told him to come back in 3 months for a follow up just because he hasn't had dental care before and to brush his teeth twice a day. Suddenly, he has a cavity when he never has before. He did start brushing twice a day.

I just think it's sketchy.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackieGirl007
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Totally!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM
It's the fluoride in our water. It doesn't help it harms. It's not even the kind found in nature it's man made.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Here in the USA we have a ton of acidic foods and drinks that destroys our teeth. I have had to have thousands of dollars worth of dental work done. My teeth were so bad. It was no scam. I also believe that a lot has to do with genetics.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Your boss is probably eating much differently than he did in Nepal.  No sane, logical person believes he got a cavity from brushing his teeth.  A major part of the story is being left out.

You sound like my MIL.  She believed dental care, from tooth brushing to dentist visits, was a scam too.  The result is my husband had horrible problems throughout his childhood and teen years, he only got dental care when he visited his grandparents for the summers.  He is having what's left of his teeth removed and getting dentures.  He is 32.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Thank you.  Logic is not often seen here in MC.

Quoting Anonymous: Here in the USA we have a ton of acidic foods and drinks that destroys our teeth. I have had to have thousands of dollars worth of dental work done. My teeth were so bad. It was no scam. I also believe that a lot has to do with genetics.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM
I think they overemphasize dental hygiene in the sense that brushing, flossing, swishing mouthwash two or three times a day and getting professional cleanings every six months are not necessary for everyone. There is definitely a strong genetic component.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM
He has well water. I don't think it's fluoridated.

And if it was, a 3 month span after seeing a dentist?b

Quoting Anonymous: It's the fluoride in our water. It doesn't help it harms. It's not even the kind found in nature it's man made.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM
3 months ago he didn't have a cavity and according to the dentist his teeth looked great and healthy but he was still told to brush more often.

Now he has a cavity. I'm not saying it all is. I'm saying that I think EXCESSIVE brushing that is being pushed is actually causing more problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your boss is probably eating much differently than he did in Nepal.  No sane, logical person believes he got a cavity from brushing his teeth.  A major part of the story is being left out.

You sound like my MIL.  She believed dental care, from tooth brushing to dentist visits, was a scam too.  The result is my husband had horrible problems throughout his childhood and teen years, he only got dental care when he visited his grandparents for the summers.  He is having what's left of his teeth removed and getting dentures.  He is 32.

PeppermintyTea
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM
I think with anything you just have to be aware. Some people have better teeth by genetics, and things change as we age... I guess you can't be 100% sure, but if I though there was something sneaky going on I'd just go to a different dentist.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM
I totally agree with the genetic component. I do everything "right" when it comes to my teeth, but for whatever reason I still build up tartar very quickly, and have to get cleanings every three months just to stay on top of it. Whereas my best friend goes to the dentist every 7 years and his teeth are always fine. (We're both overall healthy people and eat similar diets).

Quoting Anonymous: Here in the USA we have a ton of acidic foods and drinks that destroys our teeth. I have had to have thousands of dollars worth of dental work done. My teeth were so bad. It was no scam. I also believe that a lot has to do with genetics.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)