• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a live in girlfriend count as family?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
Exh currently lives with his mom and relies on her to watch One or more of the kids during visitation time. (We have 3 kids and he gets overwhelmed sometimes, one doesn't want to go somewhere or he'll take the boys while the 2 yr old naps). He's talking about moving in with his girlfriend now so he won't have his mom around to help. Visitation says that he's supposed to spend time with him and not leave them with anyone else during the time unless it's short visits with family. He only has the kids Wed nights and every other weekend. Since she's not family, should I allow him to leave the kids with her if he wants to or require him to be with them the whole time?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Legally, no I don't think she'd be classified as family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Legally no she isn't family. But if the tables were turned, would you want him dictating that your new boyfriend couldn't be left alone with them? It sounds petty.
hismommy2010
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Have you met her? Would u trust her?
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM
This.

Quoting Anonymous: Legally no she isn't family. But if the tables were turned, would you want him dictating that your new boyfriend couldn't be left alone with them? It sounds petty.
MamiJaAyla
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM
You still can't request. He be with them entire time. You can put in a RIFT for anything above ____ hours. You can go for a morality clause rtc. But realize thg at clauses typically go both ways.... eh as t you put in would also be for YOU.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have a live in boyfriend. When I do have a boyfriend, he probably wouldn't babysit for me. I have a babysitter.

Quoting Anonymous: Legally no she isn't family. But if the tables were turned, would you want him dictating that your new boyfriend couldn't be left alone with them? It sounds petty.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Um, no a live-in girlfriend is NOT family and you can actually make a case to have visitation removed or supervised if it goes against your religion.  Co-habitation outside of marriage is a big no-no with some custody agreements.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM
I haven't met her. The kids met her a few weeks ago. The weren't allowed to meet her until the divorce was final last month.

Quoting hismommy2010: Have you met her? Would u trust her?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Hmmm, so he has a say in who you get as a babysitter?

Quoting Anonymous: I wouldn't have a live in boyfriend. When I do have a boyfriend, he probably wouldn't babysit for me. I have a babysitter.

belindah
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM

What do you know about her?  Do a background check, and make sure there is nothing in her background.  How long have they been seeing each other?  If they have only been together for a short time, then I would recommend not to have the children around just yet.  Children get attached to some one so quickly and if the relationship does not work out, the kids are affected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)