Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So CIO is okay if it's for a bottle and not bedtime?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:37 PM
  • 22 Replies

So many moms on this site are completely and totally aganist using cry it out (CIO) to sleep train a baby. It's called neglect, abuse, being a lazy parent, etc. 

Recently, however there have been a bunch of posts about 18 month olds, two year olds and older kids still using a bottle or pacifier because they are attached to it, use it to self-soothe or just aren't ready to give it up. 

The majority of moms seem to be aganist that as well. I have read comments saying that if your older child is still using those items you are being neglectful and lazy. I read comments saying that you are the mom so just take them away. 

Here's my question...

Does that mean that it's okay to let a toddler/child CIO over learning to not need a comfort item but not over learning to go to sleep? 

My son will be one year old tomorrow and he is not ready to give up the bottle. I have been attempting to slowly switch him to a sippy cup for a couple months but he isn't interested yet. Should I just take them all away and let him cry it out for the bottle until he forgets about it? 

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:41 PM
I'd try bottles at night and a sippy during the day until he is used to it. Of course, I don't really see the issue with going to bed with a bottle either. He's 1, not 8. Its a process. Just because they hit certain ages doesn't mean you flip a switch.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Shrugs

I never did either of those things ...
Mak33012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Personally I'd say no. There's no reason he needs to not take a bottle right now this second. Some kids pick it up quicker than others. Follow his cues and keep offering the sippy cup, try again to take away the bottle in a few weeks and see how he does.
cymkare
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I agree. And that's basically what I'm doing. 

It was mostly a comment on how many moms on here seem to think you should rip them away at a certain age but also think CIO is abuse. 

Quoting quickbooksworm: I'd try bottles at night and a sippy during the day until he is used to it. Of course, I don't really see the issue with going to bed with a bottle either. He's 1, not 8. Its a process. Just because they hit certain ages doesn't mean you flip a switch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I think it's a valid point you raise.  I'm not for CIO, but I try to avoid being part of those conversations because it's none of my business how others parent.  However, my DD is 18 months and still uses a pacifier to help fall asleep or if she's upset.  She had a shot today, for example, and I gave her the bink during the shot..no tears.  Once we left the clinic she handed it to me.  We've been working on weening off of it, but since we live in an apartment I don't want to just take it away to make her cry because (1) that's no pleasant for any of us and (2) it's not pleasant to my neighbors.  

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM

This. 

Quoting quickbooksworm: I'd try bottles at night and a sippy during the day until he is used to it. Of course, I don't really see the issue with going to bed with a bottle either. He's 1, not 8. Its a process. Just because they hit certain ages doesn't mean you flip a switch.

cymkare
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Right now, he will drink about an ounce out of the sippy cup and then refuse anymore until it's in a bottle. I'm still trying, though. 

Quoting Mak33012: Personally I'd say no. There's no reason he needs to not take a bottle right now this second. Some kids pick it up quicker than others. Follow his cues and keep offering the sippy cup, try again to take away the bottle in a few weeks and see how he does.

cymkare
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Thanks. Just trying to point out how the two situations aren't that different. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a valid point you raise.  I'm not for CIO, but I try to avoid being part of those conversations because it's none of my business how others parent.  However, my DD is 18 months and still uses a pacifier to help fall asleep or if she's upset.  She had a shot today, for example, and I gave her the bink during the shot..no tears.  Once we left the clinic she handed it to me.  We've been working on weening off of it, but since we live in an apartment I don't want to just take it away to make her cry because (1) that's no pleasant for any of us and (2) it's not pleasant to my neighbors.  

KaitlynEileen
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM
My 11 month old is currently crying it out. I changed him brushed his teeth and read him some stories. Its up to him now to go to sleep on his own. He still has binkies, and I have been leaving sippies with water in his crib because its so dang hot out.
DeeMD82
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:55 PM

We bought a sippy cup and threw away all bottles.  I don't think she cared as long as something came out.  

Oh now I have read that he will drink only an oz until you put it in the bottle, but maybe that is because he knows the bottles are still there.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)