• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ex and life insurance!!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM
  • 22 Replies

So.. My ex just recently told me that I am the beneficiary of his life insurance policy. (That makes me super nervous, and freaks me out, because if anything ever happened to him... Who are they going to look at).

Obviously, I never want anything to happen to him.. just like I would never want anything to happen to my babies.

The harsh reality is.. You just never know what could happen. My baby has Cystic Fibrosis... So that scares me, etc.

Would you put life insurance on your child, in case you ever had to pay for unfortunate expenses??

The entire thought of it makes me cringe.. The fact that I'm aware that I'm the beneficiary on his plan. (Separated for 3 years, and he's not changing it at this rate). makes me nervous.

Here are two questions.

Would you be content with being the beneficiary of your EXES life insurance policy?? 

And... Would you put life insurance on your child?

Maybe I watch too much ID... but life insurance scares the crap out of me.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eatyourveges
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It makes sense. If he were to pass before your kids are of legal age then I would assume he would want you to have his insurance money to help in raising the children on your own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM
My child has a life insurance policy. It was bought for $750 at age 2 with a $7500 death benefit and will turn into a whole life policy for $25k at age 18. The main reason it was purchased was the one time payment of $750 that would insure a small policy if later in life medically wise no other policy could be purchased.
lanes_mom0109
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We have life insurance on both of our children. I don't see why you're scared of life insurance, it's a smart thing to have.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

My mom has life insurance policies on both of my kids.  I'm fine with it. 

I have a life insurance policy as well, with her as the beneficiary.  No clue how I would feel about being the beneficiary of my ex's life insurance policy unless there was the stipulation that I'm only the beneficiary in care of an underage child. 

sixty5roses
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

That's exactly it... and because he knows that I will give a portion of it to his boys. (My babies, but not biologically)

It just scares me... Cause so many people have killed for life insurance.. and I'm terrified of something happening to him. Surely nothing will. Lol, just scares me. 

At the same time, it makes me wonder, if it would be a good idea to get life insurance on my kids. Or, myself... I'm thinking I should at least check into it for myself and the kids.. Cause they'll always have it. 

Quoting eatyourveges: It makes sense. If he were to pass before your kids are of legal age then I would assume he would want you to have his insurance money to help in raising the children on your own.

mkeranen
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM

When we got life insurance for my husband and I, it was only a little more to add a $20k policy for each of our children. So we got it!

IAMmomtotrips
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My children have had life insurance policies since they were born.. (My job provides $25,000 per dependent)...and when my DH and I were divorced (we remarried)...it was written into our divorce decree that we had to carry $150,000 worth of life insurance with our ex as the beneficiary until the girls turned 18.

After loosing my DH this April, I am very grateful for every penny we had otherwise I would be destitute.
kiddycat73
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Ive been divorced for 7 years, and my ex and I DO NOT get along. He has the kids as his LI beneficiaries, but I am listed as secondary in case they're still minors. It is a normal thing for him to have you listed, especially if your kids are young.
mombear55
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM
I don't give a shit about my ex so no I wouldn't be happy being his beneficiary. I already have life insurance for my kids through work.
sixty5roses
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I do agree it's incredibly smart... But it makes me paranoid, because there are so many people, moms, husbands, wives... who have killed for the money... The fact that it makes me nervous, is mainly because he's my ex.. and let's say he was shot up. (Highly unlikely) then, my motive, being his ex wife could be the money... I know I'm being stupid about this.. But it I don't know...

Quoting lanes_mom0109: We have life insurance on both of our children. I don't see why you're scared of life insurance, it's a smart thing to have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)