Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ancestry.com

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM
  • 18 Replies
Does anyone have an account? Have you managed to find anything about your family?

No one seems to know anything on either side of my family except we are probably Irish English and native american. Which I know for a fact one ofy great great grandmothers was full blooded native american. But other than that I don't know anything. I've tried searching at the library and haven't found anything out. I don't know what else to do but I'm super interested to find anything out.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CadillacCutie
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM
My dad has one. We've found out so many things it'll make your head spin. IMO it's well worth the membership. It's addictive. Informational and kind of fun ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Uh.. I did it the old fashioned way, hand written family records and trees. We have my dad's side traced back to the Mayflower voyage.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I do. Ive done the dna test through them as well, i love it. Though they dont have much record for native americans. Im assuming there just arent many written records for them.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Yes.  And I've found a lot but you have to be really careful, and take other people's tree entries with a grain of salt unless there's an official record (census, birth certificate, etc.) to back up what they are claiming.  I've written more than one who was trying to connect into this line or that to call their attention to the fact that two people could not possibly have been the parents of a child who was born 100 years before - or 100 years after - they themselves were.

heathakeen
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:36 PM
how does the DNA part work?

Quoting Anonymous: I do. Ive done the dna test through them as well, i love it. Though they dont have much record for native americans. Im assuming there just arent many written records for them.
Reading.Rainbow
by LeVar on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I do, and I've found a lot. Back to the 1600's on both Dh and I's sides

Jtcjtmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM
The information I found on there was very inaccurate.
T-Rentsmommy06
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM
My mom does that. I did the free trial and added more people for her because she could only go back so far. But it was fun... for free.

Quoting Anonymous: Uh.. I did it the old fashioned way, hand written family records and trees. We have my dad's side traced back to the Mayflower voyage.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM
You buy a kit from them, which is basically a tube to spit into. You send your kit back to them and they add all your information onto your account. It tells you ethnicities and relatives who have also sent in dna

Quoting heathakeen: how does the DNA part work?

Quoting Anonymous: I do. Ive done the dna test through them as well, i love it. Though they dont have much record for native americans. Im assuming there just arent many written records for them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM

I used Ancestry and found photos of my G Grandparents and found their graves

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN