Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Come revise my budget. What would you do differently?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
This is a list of my bills. We are currently staying at my parents bc the house were moving to isnt ready yet. So for the moment we dont pay rent, electeic, water or tv/internet, but we will be within the next 30 days so im counting it in.

Rent:$700
Electric: $125
Water/trash: $50
Car: $140
Van: $290
Insurance: $205
Phones: $130
Tv/internet: $40
Bank loan: $120
Student loan: $70
VA: $105
Storage: $45
Gerber: $15
DL surcharge:$25 (dh has a lead foot :/ )
Gas credit card: monthly balance

Dh brings home $1450 every other week. We live paycheck to paycheck but get by. He gets a raise in september ($1900 biweekly) and again in march ($3k biweekly), which will put us to a very comfortable financial position. But just for outside perspective, what would you do differently, if anything?

(The internet is for school for me, the tv will be like tv off the Internet service.)

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Can insurance be lower?  Is that health or auto?

Otherwise most of those look like fixed expenses.  You will have to share your other more fluid expense to get a better answer.  Like entertainment, food, clothing, etc

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Looks fine, especially if he'll be bringing in more soon. Why do you need storage? And how do you know the electric bill already, ours was over 300 last month? No natural gas? TV and internet looks really low too, do you know that's the rate or are you guessing?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Its auto. And its as low as its going for now. :(

We dont have a fixed number for other things. I just make whatevers remaining stretch to accomodate. The only thing we know we have to buy twice a month is dog food, at $20 bucks a bag.

Quoting Texor:

Can insurance be lower?  Is that health or auto?

Otherwise most of those look like fixed expenses.  You will have to share your other more fluid expense to get a better answer.  Like entertainment, food, clothing, etc

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM
How much is food/clothing every month?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Our belongings are in storage right now bc our house isnt ready. And the electric is just an average estimate for this area, based on rates and usage. It may vary slightly each month.

Quoting Anonymous:

Looks fine, especially if he'll be bringing in more soon. Why do you need storage? And how do you know the electric bill already, ours was over 300 last month? No natural gas? TV and internet looks really low too, do you know that's the rate or are you guessing?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM

So once you're paying most of these other bills the storage won't be an expense anymore... I would take it out of the budget.

Quoting Anonymous: Our belongings are in storage right now bc our house isnt ready. And the electric is just an average estimate for this area, based on rates and usage. It may vary slightly each month.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:36 PM
I dont buy clothing every month. Our wardrobes last quite a while. And I just stretch the remaining funds to accomodate our needs after all bills are paid.

Quoting Anonymous: How much is food/clothing every month?
Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Bi-weekly? As in 2x a week? I've never heard of a pay schedule like that? Or do you mean bi monthly, as in 2x a month/every other week...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:38 PM
I would stop using the credit card and the minute you can pay off the debt smallest to largest and then things will be very comfortable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Groceries?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)