• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be upset if your son or daughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

in a divorce situation said things like:

"If you don't buy me ____, I'm going to move in with my mom/dad and then you'll have to pay him/her CS and they'll buy it for me."

"If you don't start doing more stuff with me(going on trips was an example) than I'm going to go to court and choose to live with my mom/dad ."

My friend is going through this with her 14 year old son. Do you think she should just ignore it? Reason with him? Let him go live at his dad's? And let's say the other parent is encouraging it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM

i'd probably ignore it. he's trying manipulate her. i honestly dont have any good advice though. he may find out the grass isn't greener on the other side

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM
This is yet another reason why kids should not get to "choose" nor ever be told that they do.
lilyismyheart
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Let him choose. Dont fall victim to the manipulations. Hes is trying to gt her to do and give him what he wants. Ignore it. Tell him he can choose where he wants to live, but she wont be bending over backwards for his demands.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I'd tell my child go for it the grass is not always greener on the other side.

T-Rentsmommy06
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Yep.

Quoting lilyismyheart: Let him choose. Dont fall victim to the manipulations. Hes is trying to gt her to do and give him what he wants. Ignore it. Tell him he can choose where he wants to live, but she wont be bending over backwards for his demands.
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Beyond upset, pissed. A 14 yr. old knows better than to blackmail and I wouldn't take it laying down, that's for sure. You can't ignore that or give in. 

LCJan21
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM
My mom tell us she'd help us pack. If my son ever said something like that, I'd tell him to go right ahead and go live with his dad. His dad isn't going to let him get away with it either.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I wouldn't be worked like that by a child of mine in ANY situation.

I'd ignore it and if the little snot continued, we'd deal with it through other means, including learning how to not manipulate and to be respectful.

MamiJaAyla
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Put him/her into therapy. I'd also document the statements shoot get child to email or text that blackmail and respond with I'm your parent and I love you that means that I am going to be your PARENT I will not reward threats I will not give in to bribes I will not allow manipulation I will set boundaries I will provide you with what uou need I will establish ways for you to earn Yuri our wants and I will do my best to guide you into making healthy choices. Because I love you I will do everything in my power to help You our become the best person you can be so no bany I won't let you do whatever you want we can do trips as you earn them and I can afford them because at the end of the day its not the material things that will make you happy but the love. I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH TO SAY YES I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THAT I WILL TELL YOU NO.
Gardeningmom4
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If the other parent is encouraging said behavior the other parent should take them to court for parental interference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)