Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

repeating questions?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
DS has a communication delay, he's improved a lot in the past few months. But when we ask him a question like "what color is this?" (He usually knows most of his colors) he's just says "what color" or "color"
Just using that as an example as its the first one that popped into my head. Idk if this is just a normal phase or what, my oldest never did this but he was also right on/ ahead in communications :/
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Bump
squeekers
by squeekers on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:50 PM

maybe you could rephraze the question "is this color red or blue?"

gingerprincess
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM

From what I've seen/experienced with children, they start out doing that (repeating what you say) but after a while they should catch on as to what you want them to do and start answering the question. Maybe try asking the question, pausing, then answering it... he will repeat the answer, when he does praise him a lot say, "That's right, it is (insert color here) Good job!".

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM

How old is he? Just curious- I know you said he has a delay.

Most children I know actually do that for a time when asked a question like that. I'm not sure why, but when they were first learning to talk, most toddlers I know would say exactly the same things when asked "What color is this?", even if they knew and could point and say "bue" or "geen".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM
With those type of questions he ALWAYS picks whatever you say first :/ took me about 2 weeks to figure that one out Lol. I started to notice and "tested" him to see

Quoting squeekers:

maybe you could rephraze the question "is this color red or blue?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:55 PM
He's 3. He's been "talking" for a while, most of it gibberish we couldn't understand. About 9 months ago he just randomly started spitting out sentences/questions and random words. I've been working with him for a while on it... He was in speech but dh and I agreed to pull him out of that program it wasn't really helping and the lady doing it... Ugh couldn't deal with her. But since pulling him he's done soo much better oddly enough :)

Quoting MamaRae85:

How old is he? Just curious- I know you said he has a delay.

Most children I know actually do that for a time when asked a question like that. I'm not sure why, but when they were first learning to talk, most toddlers I know would say exactly the same things when asked "What color is this?", even if they knew and could point and say "bue" or "geen".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)