Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else's husband lack enthusiasm when it comes to home improvement ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My husband never wants to do ANYTHING to improve our house. We purchased our first home almost two years ago and it needed a lot of rehabbing which he did absolutely nothing other the. Hanging up a few lights. I had to get my cousin and my husband's dad did most everything .

Anyway, I have simple ideas I want to do to improve the value of our house and he always gives excuses as to why it won't work. Then he actually has a major pissed off attitude when he has to do anything. I almost feel as if he doesn't even want to have a house with me. I grew up in a 500 square foot house with hardly a pot to piss in and he knows this. I am eager for simple things that in my head are "classy". Such as closet doors on our closets. Which still aren't up yet and there is always an excuse as to why they won't work. Guess I'll just do the shit myself. Although I then get bitched out for "avoiding" him. Whatever
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM

My husband "can't " do anything, he is so not handy and does not care to learn. Is that part of the problem, that he can't do it and is frustrated or feels incompetent?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Quoting JulyBabies:

My husband "can't " do anything, he is so not handy and does not care to learn. Is that part of the problem, that he can't do it and is frustrated or feels incompetent?

Idk he says that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM

When he finally does something around here, he generally leaves it half finished.  When we bought our house, it had a really horrid color on the walls throughout most of the house.  He woudn't listen when I said maybe we should spend a few days painting but he wanted to move immediately.  He didn't want me to paint because he thinks he does the best job ever.  Seven months later, the primer is what's on the walls and that is only in part of the house.  He hasn't fixed the ceiling yet from a leak.  He fixed the leak, not the ceiling.  I did the changing of the outlet plates because they were also horrid and older than me.  There is so much more but I could go on all evening.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Yep. I do it all. If I don't have time it has to wait until I do. Dh built a swing set for the kids but didn't hang swings. He said he'd get to it but it's been 3 months. Dh took the mower deck off to change the blades. They don't come off easy and he has to take them to a friend with air tools. He's seen the friend twice since then, he didn't take the mower parts. It's been 2 months since the yard has been mowed.

Yep.

I'm busy. We have 5 kids and I've been tracking with them a lot to see sick relatives that may not be around much longer. So my yard looks like hell.

I do all household maintanance except for gutters. They are currently stuffed full of leaves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM
I guess I'm just going to have to get used to doing stuff on my own the.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Yes it drives me insane!!!!
t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I'm the handyman. He gets excited because he's usually not the one doing it in just painted the living room and family room. He did go buy new curtains today. I didn't want to go to the store. I hung them.
cybcm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Why don't you do it?

I mean, you're the one who wants all these changes so badly, so why does it fall on him to do it?
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM

We both TALK about changing a lot of thing but finding the motivation to DO is an entirely different matter. 

liveforever
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM
My dh isn't exactly Tim Taylor, but he tries. He will watch YouTube videos and make an attempt. He's actually surprised me with some of the things he's been able to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)