Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cat mommys and vets I need help ASAP

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
My mom adopted a cat from the humane society awhile ago. She was a great cat. Loving, playful, never jumped up on the counters, never tried to get into food, ect.

Well my brother found two abandoned kittens and they decided to keep them. That wasn't a problem either. Well the kittens had some kind of stomach thing that made them have little to no control over their bowels. They never pooped anywhere other than the cat box but they would drip. Well mom took them to the vet and got everything fixed.

The problem is that Simi the cat she adopted completely stopped using the cat box all together. She doesn't even try any more. The kittens still use the cat box and no longer have any problems other than getting on the counters and into food.

My mom is at her wits end. She has always been an animal lover. But she doesn't know how to make the adopted cat start using the cat box again. She just got done changing the boxes (there are two) completely and scrubbing them out and the floors around them. While she was taking the trash out she still had the cat box in the living room. And Similar jumped up on the couch and crapped all over it. My mom called me in tears because she loves this cat but right now she honestly just wants to beat her (THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN).

Do you ladies have any advice on how to get this cat to start using the cat box again? Because if not my m is getting rid of all of them and giving up on animals all together. Which honestly would kill her. She is 52 and has always had a dog or cat.

Any advice on how to help her would be greatly appreciated
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2hadley
by Jagged Edge on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Maybe she should have a third litter box somewhere. That might help.
CrystalSapphire
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM

The adopted cat needs her own litter box. She feels invaded by the other two. Hope everything works out. Too many unwanted cats in the world.

Loveavision
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM
An additional litter box would probably help. Animals in general are territorial.
HIJKLM
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
I agree, her own box might be your only hope
kansasmomof5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Get another cat box
KristaP13
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Can she find a space in the house that only the older cat can get to and move one littler box there? Finding this cat it's own space sounds like the best idea. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM
How would she get the other two to not use the one for the adopted cat?

Quoting CrystalSapphire:

The adopted cat needs her own litter box. She feels invaded by the other two. Hope everything works out. Too many unwanted cats in the world.

chickensmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
You need at least 4 litter boxes. Put them in different Areas
NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM

A litter box for each cat is the rule I've always heard. I only have one cat/one box. But she should have three, so sharing is their option as is personal space.

Crashly
by Ashley on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Like everyone has said, she needs her own box.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)