Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it my job to...for my father?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies

My father has many health issues. He's legally disabled (I don't know what the "proper term" is- but he is unable to work and receives disability). One of his issues is diabetes. He has a nurse that comes in a couple times a week to check his vitals and see how hes doing, etc. 

Well we recently moved in with him (short term) and Ive been doing all of the cooking. I of course have to cook for my kids anyways, and whats two more mouths (His wife- also disabled though not nearly to the extent as my father) Ive never really gave it much thought. Before I moved in he was living off of frozen pizzas and whatever other frozen packaged meals theyd buy. 

So back to his nurse- she was looking at my dads sugar levels (he has to keep a daily log) and they havent been below 200 in months (long before I moved back in so no- its not MY fault) she was asking what hes eating and he lied. Claimed he didnt know what was causing the spikes and said he can never get the levels below 200 no matter what he does. Well thats BS. I don't control what he eats 24/7. I cook dinner, and they kind of fend for themselves for lunch (usually leftovers or sandwiches) and they rarely eat breakfast. but he LOVES his carbs and he LOVES his ice cream (that i do not buy). 

But I felt really bad. I never took his diabetes into consideration when I prepare our meals. He literally cannot get up and cook anything for himself, and his wife CAN but just wont unless its a sandwich, or reheating something in the microwave. 

So since im staying here, is it my job to cater more towards the diet he SHOULD be following, even though he wouldnt follow it even if i wasnt here? I think I feel like a shitty daughter just because I know if I prepared more low carb meals, hed eat it, and his sugar levels may not be so bad. I cant control the ice cream habit because i dont buy that stuff anyways but i kind of feel guilty about the rest. And on the other hand I feel like if he wont help himself, why should I worry so much? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Do the riht thing. 

Cook healthful, low carb meals while you are there. If he chooses not to follow his diet, then that is on him, not you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)