Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The mattress war...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
We are a blended family. Dh brought his 2 kids bedroom furniture here when we moved in, as I did w my boys. My twins were rather small and still in toddler beds. Shortly after moving in, I bought them a wicked fire truck bunk bed. They LOVED it! Until it came time to go to sleep. Neither would sleep on the top bunk. For months the bed was unused as the twins shared the lower bunk.

Meanwhile, my sd who spends a night or two here on weekends had a god awful mattress. It was horridly uncomfortable. So, seeing as the twins weren't using it, I swapped the top bunk mattress for hers.

A year or two goes by. Sd decides she cannot share a bedroom w her younger sister. She is too old to sleep in a room w barbies lol. So dh starts adding a bedroom to our finished basement. Her belongings are all downstairs (by her request) and her bed is in pieces. She sleeps on the couch until it's done. Again, her request.

Now, the twins have grown. One has decided he is brave enough to take the top bunk. So he starts sleeping on it, and a week goes by. I tell dh this and say he should go grab the bed from downstairs and swap them back. He gets super defensive and claims that by suggesting I take the currently unused mattress that is technically my sons back, that I am implying that sd deserves to sleep on the crappy mattress and am being an ass. What?!

I mean, the kid isn't even sleeping on it! I asked him if my son deserves to sleep on the crap mattress, and he says no. That we will buy a new one next week when he's on holidays and my son can tough it out till then. Yup, nope! It was his damn bed in the first place and he isn't spending another second on it! I brought it upstairs and made the swap. Now I'm the sm from hell, apparently. Am I the jerk?!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Depending on how "crappy" the mattress really was I'd just buy a new one.

And it if really wasn't "that bad" I'd just leave well enough alone.

luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Just wait and buy a new one, talk about making it a bigger deal then it really is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:51 AM
No, it's beyond bad! Seriously the most uncomfortable thing anyone has ever had to sleep on. It's old and the springs are all popped out. It should have been trashed long ago. No one should have to ever sleep on it.

Quoting smorgan865:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM
I agree, this is being blown completely out of proportion. But his lack to see reason and his defensiveness of an item that isn't being used irks me. Why would it matter to him if I swap them, seeing as it's not even being used by her? My kid has said the thing hurts his back. He shouldn't have to sleep on it while a perfectly good mattress sits downstairs

Quoting luckysevenwow: Just wait and buy a new one, talk about making it a bigger deal then it really is.
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:59 AM
So, when the room is finished, are you buying the SD a new mattress?
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Well since your SD isn't sleeping on it right now (couch, right?) then I think your DS using it in the meantime until you can get a new mattress for either his or her bed I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Oops ,wrong quote! :)

Quoting Anonymous: I agree, this is being blown completely out of proportion. But his lack to see reason and his defensiveness of an item that isn't being used irks me. Why would it matter to him if I swap them, seeing as it's not even being used by her? My kid has said the thing hurts his back. He shouldn't have to sleep on it while a perfectly good mattress sits downstairs
Quoting luckysevenwow: Just wait and buy a new one, talk about making it a bigger deal then it really is.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Well since your SD isn't sleeping on it right now (couch, right?) then I think your DS using it in the meantime until you can get a new mattress for either his or her bed I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Quoting Anonymous: No, it's beyond bad! Seriously the most uncomfortable thing anyone has ever had to sleep on. It's old and the springs are all popped out. It should have been trashed long ago. No one should have to ever sleep on it.
Quoting smorgan865:

yksmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Honestly, I think this is a crazy thing to argue about.

Why does he have to be on holiday to buy a mattress?
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM
Can you not just ditch the crappy mattress and buy a new one for the top bunk?.. It just seems like such a stupid thing to even argue about.. This shouldn't even be an issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Good question. I asked him the same thing. I said I'd just go pick one up and he protested saying he could get a better deal if he shops around and will have time to do so on vacation. :/

It is a dumb thing to fight about but it has clearly highlighted his top prerogatives. This is about more then just a mattress now.

Quoting yksmom: Honestly, I think this is a crazy thing to argue about.

Why does he have to be on holiday to buy a mattress?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN