Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone familiar with Southwestern Company door to door book sales?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
http://somedayallthis.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/the-southwestern-company-door-to-door-deception/

Last year I took the time to sit down and listen to the kid who was selling these books door to door in my neighborhood. I even gave him some iced tea. After I sent him on his way with a "no thank you", I looked into the company. I was totally appalled by what I read about their sales practices (like looking up teachers from the local school and then name dropping so it appears that they also purchased books and gathering names and ages of children from neighbors).

This morning a kid knocked on my door at 8 sharp. He was totally flustered by my immediate demand that he get off my porch and that I'd be contacting the township immediately to alert them about his soliciting.

Does anyone here have any experience with the company? Did you sell for from them or buy ?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
southern.momof2
by Pirate on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Some of my friends have bought from them. They seemed happy with it.

I can't stand solicitors so, I was a little rude with the guy when he came to my door. I wasnt feeling well that day and was annoyed that he knocked on my door.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM
I feel just as bad for the kids they doop into it. They recruit these poor college kids with the promise of lots of money, travelling to awesome places and great life and work experience. I went to a seminar in college and they make it sound like you become a part of the community you're selling in and everyone loves you. He said "Ya..there's the mail man, the milk man and the book guy!" What the fuck ever...no one wants that shit and these kids only make about $8 an hour and literally worm from sun up to sun down and then they are stuck in a foreign place, unable to leave it get a different job. Their recruiting practises are less than honest.
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM
I usually don't answer my door to people I don't know so I haven't had any experience with them. It amazes me that anyone even still buys from door to door salespeople. If I need or want something, I know how to find it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM

They come by. Every year or one like it selling magazines or books. This young man last year came by and told me his hardship story of being a youth from Detroit and he was trying to raise money for college. Now, I am fairly friendly and polite and was smiling and listening. Now, when it came to the sale pitch, I I said no thank you. He went from friendly to hard cold scary and starting ranting why you smiling at me.... Etc etc I shut and locked the door and I heard him swearing about me f&ckin b&tch because instead of slamming the door in his face, I let him do his sob story spile. I just said no thanks not interested right fast after that. They also always come right around dinner time.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)