Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Very scared puppy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I got my puppy when she was about 8 weeks old. She is now 8 months old. She has always been scared as if she was abused. But I don't think she was since I got her so young.

She will growl and bark at people, but if they come near her she runs away. When you call her she comes but is hesitant and shakey, and ducks down when walking.

I've never done anything to her. She goes everywhere with me, she sleeps with me, she stays by my side all the time.

What's up with my pup?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Mobile Photo

Bump
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM

She may have an anxiety disorder...Have you considered talking to the vet about getting her on some doggy meds?

j3st3r
by Jedi on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Any other animals in the home? How much time have you spent socializing? She sounds like a subordinate doggie looking for a dominant figure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM
I will at her next vet appointment

Quoting OwlNuggets:

She may have an anxiety disorder...Have you considered talking to the vet about getting her on some doggy meds?

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM

There's also dog training courses specifically for anxious dogs...Dunno where you'd find out if they offer one in your area.

Quoting Anonymous: I will at her next vet appointment
Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Same thing with our dog. We got her at 6 weeks (ugh don't get me started on why, definitely not my choice to take a puppy from its mother that young) so she wasn't abused.

From a very young age we noticed something was wrong with her. Just like you describe, plus some other things, told us our dog had anxiety. When she was a little over a year, we took her to the vet, explained her behavior and she's been on anxiety meds ever since. It helps.

We are also looking into getting her specialized training, also called therapy, which specializes in anxiety and aggression.
SueUK
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Awww she's cute, but I have no idea. :( Dogs make associations, but if you had her from 8 weeks and don't know of anything or anyone that's scared here, I don't know why she would be such a scaredy cat! Maybe you should do some online research. Here's a bump for you though.

LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

It is possible.  My childhood dog that we got when he was 10 weeks old was abused.  He was always nervous and jittery, barked at everything and did not like men other than my dad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)