Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kid needs braces, sm gets them, does that make you hurry up and get kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Say your child needs braces and you're not sure if you and your ex can afford the cost, but then you see stepmom with braces all of sudden. Would that make you hurry up and get braces for your child, because you think if your ex can afford them for his wife he can sure as hell afford them for his kid too? Or would you wait? And why/why not?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:10 AM

How old are the kids? Have their baby teeth all fallen out? I would base my decision on their need for braces at the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:11 AM
I would get them when the dentist and orthodontist thought it was the right time. You don't pay for it all upfront usually.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
The fact that she had braces would have no bearing on my decision.
RazzleMySpazz
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM
How old are your kids and have you spoken to their dad?

Maybe sm has good dental coverage or generous parents?
Ray-of-Beezy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM
I would assume step mom, if working, paid for them. Most offices offer payment plans.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM

??? Do you know how good his wife's dental insurance is? Just because she has braces isn't an indicator of how much discretionary money they have.

What does your child support order say about medical expenses? Regardless, if my kid really needed the braces I'd get them. If their father could help me with the cost great. If not, my kid still needed the braces and I wouldn't have her go without.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I wouldnt worry about sm, i would worry about fixing my kids teeth. Id figure out a way to pay for it and not worry about dad paying for it. Thats just me though :)

Hutersmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM
No you don't know that he payed for them in any means. She may have been saving to get herself braces, My mom saved some of my cs to pay for mine when I was younger. we knew for several years that I would need them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMandaz
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Quoting KendallsMommee: The fact that she had braces would have no bearing on my decision.
zombieskayer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Well did she afford them on her own? MY dad's girlfriend makes really good money so she  can buy stuff on her own without my dad. Infact she makes more then my dad.  So like if I was my mom in that case I wouldn't because I'dknow she could afford them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)