Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exercise induced asthma=out of shape?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
Do you think exercise induced asthma is overdiagnosed? Are they really just out of shape?

I'm one of the ones who cough for hrs after a workout and I just deal with it. No inhalers.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CadillacCutie
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I've never heard of it. Is this what your doctor said?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Quoting CadillacCutie: I've never heard of it. Is this what your doctor said?
never brought my cough up to a dr, I see an obgyn when pregnant and that's it
SleuthMaria
by Love a tomb. on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
I don't know if it's over diagnosed, but I do know that it does exist. I was diagnosed with it as a child & my 13 year old was diagnosed with it at age 2. At the time I was diagnosed, I played tennis, volleyball, racket ball, & lifted weights. I had to use my inhaler before each of those activities, but was in no way out of shape. My child was in average shape for a healthy, active 2 year old. We both also have allergy induced asthma, which was diagnosed at the same time as the exercise induced asthma.
CadillacCutie
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Have you thought about asking?

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting CadillacCutie: I've never heard of it. Is this what your doctor said?
never brought my cough up to a dr, I see an obgyn when pregnant and that's it
say_it_aint_so
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Never heard of it. I have a friend who is slightly overweight. She carries inhalers when we walk. But afterwards she is ok. I know I am not that great with cardio myself. But no gasping or coughing. Strengthening the lungs is a process.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:27 AM
No it I not the same as being out of shape! My daughter is very much in shape- runs cross country and track, plays soccer and softball, and has done volleyball, basketball, swimming, gymnastics, and wrestling. Also works out for fun. She has exercise induced asthma though.
SpurgeonMom
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:27 AM
I was diagnosed as a child with it and was in no way out of shape. I am now but before I had kids I was very active
Mom100WV
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM

I have asthma and it can be exercise induced, but I just structure my work-outs around that fact.  It's no excuse to be out of shape, but it does exist.  It's also a completely separate issue from conditioning.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM
No way.

My niece has it and is fit and healthy.

I have general asthma. But....

I'm not so fit....lol.
Emycf
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:35 AM
I have allergen induced asthma and exercise induced asthma. Diagnosed when i was 9ish. I was stick thin and very active. They feel exactly the same - and it's totally different from the shortness of breath I get when I workout and do not get an asthma attack. The asthma attacks are freaking scary sometimes, though usually I can control them without my inhaler.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)