Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wish people were more informed about adhd

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
I was talking to a friend and I know she wasn't trying be offensive to me. And she was talking about a coworker of her who got her kids diagnosed because he wasn't making straight a's in school. But I dod get offended because she doesn't believe in diagnosing children and meds. She knows what I went through when my son was diagnosed and the many doctors I took him to , to find someone who would say he didn't have it. To find out in the end that he had severe adhd and odd. Everything I did before medicating my son.

Saying she believes that the meds cause the problems. I did in fact tell her how I felt and I told her that when I was going through all of this we talked a lot and said even today 6 years later you see what I am still dealing with. You are my best friend.
I wish people would become more informed on the subject. We ended up talking about something else.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:44 AM
I honestly don't like the thought of medicating a child for things like that. It don't seem healthy to mess wit their brain chemicals. My SS Is on meds for this and nothing has changed he's the same.
The only thing changes is he used the poor me I'm on meds feel sorry for me blah blah and he's 9.
navywife0204
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:20 AM

it took 6 years before we FINALLY hit the right med combination for my daughter.  Her teachers saw a huge improvement in her, and it has helped so much.

lovetoteachec
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:21 AM
My daughter has ADHD and is on medication, luckily we found one that worked. Vyanese
ladymaleficent
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:22 AM
My kid just has anger issues and he is all over the place adhd is what they say he has I called BS. And ODD I'm sorry I don't buy that.
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM
The only kid I know who is on meds for adhd, well, it doesn't help him at all. He is intolerable. But, I don't know if it's adhd or having a moron full of methadone, falling asleep while talking mom. Or both. I don't know shit about adhd I think is where I'm going with this lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM
It sounds like two different situations to me. There are crappy doctors that over diagnosis children and there are children (and their parents) who fight the battle on a daily basis. It's not a black and white issue at all.

Teacher
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM
I didn't either but after trying every thing else that what it came down too.

Quoting Anonymous: I honestly don't like the thought of medicating a child for things like that. It don't seem healthy to mess wit their brain chemicals. My SS Is on meds for this and nothing has changed he's the same.
The only thing changes is he used the poor me I'm on meds feel sorry for me blah blah and he's 9.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM
2 moms liked this
The problem is that there is a lot of misinformation spread all over the media by people who do not understand the difference between legitimate science and propaganda and the public's inability to use critical thinking. ADHD is one of the most-studied brain disorders in the mental health field. Many think it is new issue, however in reality it has just become better diagnosed. The medication is helpful, not only for children, but for adults as well. Many have no idea what it is like to have ADHD or to have a loved one who has it. They are not in a place to judge unless they have walked a mile in your shoes. ADD and it's medication in the treatment plan has such a negative stigma attached to it that many are not willing to take the long arduous steps it takes to undergo diagnosis or treatment for fear of how others will view you or your loved ones. This is a shame in an age when many flaunt their "open-minded ness" and "tolerance". It took me years before I felt ready to do something about this because of all of the judgement and misinformation out there. It is so difficult when you finally find successful treatment and you realize how many years have been wasted by not seeking solutions. It is hard to find the right medication. But when it finally works, it is amazing how life improves. Don't let anyone take that away from your family. These are safe drugs in therapeutic concentrations. If you doubt ask questions and do research from legitimate sources and you will see that they are safe. Gossip doesn't help, so don't bother asking advice from people who don't know what they are talking about and avoid hear-say. The drugs sound scary to the general public, but only when mis-used by those who do not have ADD. The right doctor will ensure that you are taken care of and see improvement in life if you maintain honest communication with them. Do not listen to the denier's or haters. After all, nobody would behave this way if it was something like cancer treatment. Assert yourself, have confidence in your understanding and decisions. You have spent far more time researching and understanding what works and doesn't work than anyone else. You are Mom. Stay strong and learn how to advocate with pride for what you are doing about this. They will thank you someday. It is okay to talk about something else with her. Someday she might realize and bring it up when she is ready and has come to new understanding. In the mean time be an advocate and find some interesting research that supports what you know to be true. Get to know the difference and talking points of real science versus junk science on the issue. I wish you well and congratulations on finding a treatment that works.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:25 AM
Nobody says you have too and until you deal woth it first hand you also won't understand it.

Quoting ladymaleficent: My kid just has anger issues and he is all over the place adhd is what they say he has I called BS. And ODD I'm sorry I don't buy that.
Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:26 AM

A better wish would be that people would stop being judgemental assholes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)