• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step son not being catered to...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM
  • 62 Replies

I'm having a debate with my step son. He is 13.  Normally his time with me is entirely voluntary (im the ex step mom, but the kids are welcome here any time) but his mom is out of town for a little over two weeks for a combo business trip and vacation with no kids. 

The rules at my house are that everyone has to pipe down when the little kids go to sleep.  He is free to do most anything he wants in the evenings.  Sometimes we watch movies, or he plays on his tablet or plays in his room.  We (the adults) go to bed pretty early too, so most night when its not a school night he is on his own to enforce turning his lights off and going to sleep by 10 or 10:30 because im out cold by then.  He's not been doing that. He stays up late and is super tired and grumpy in the morning.  

Today he hit me with "If I have to be quiet at night when the little kids are sleeping, then you should make them be quiet in the morning when I'm sleeping".  

I told him no way.  He knows the schedule this house operates on... we go to bed early and the kids get up early and we get our day rolling.  I let him stay in bed till 9, but after that he either has to get up, or sometimes we leave him home while we go do fun stuff. 

Would you accommodate this and keep your toddlers and preschoolers quiet in the morning to avoid disturbing a 13 year old who chose to ignore his bedtime and stay up till 1am? 

I know that mostly he is pissed that he did not get to go on vacation with his mom and he is just looking for reasons to be angry, but I was curious how you all would deal with this. 

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sm1bm3
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:49 AM
3 moms liked this
Nope. He's a guest on your home. He needs to learn manners. Let the natural consequences continue.
redneck.crazy
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM
This.

Quoting sm1bm3: Nope. He's a guest on your home. He needs to learn manners. Let the natural consequences continue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, is he for real? God kids are so ridiculous sometimes. No, I would not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope I wouldn't if he wants to stay up that late then he can deal with trying to sleep through noisy toddlers. I wouldn't really enforce a bed time with him but I wouldn't make my young kids be quiet just because he wanted to stay up all night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Nope. I normally send mine in to wake her up after 9. They are so cute when they wake her up lol. I would tell him no, and leave it at that. If he tries to disturb the younger kids, then he would be being woken up even earlier.
HIJKLM
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM
My 13yo does that and no I don't cater to her. He's lucky you let him stay up late.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol I have teens and a five year old, they want her to be quiet in the morning also, because they are up too late despite KNOWING how the household works... we have an electric key board, and I've decided early AM is the PERFECT time for my youngest to practice playing it.   LoL I'm evil though.  

loquaciousred
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Actually I'd tell him that if he can go to bed when he needs to, he can start going to bed when the little kids do. That way no one has to be quiet for anyone else...and he wouldn't be a grouch!
squeekers
by squeekers on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:07 AM

no way. known rules are to be followed. 13 yr olds are known to be a wee bit pissy. it's an age thing. 

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Actually, I would encourage the smaller kids to keep it down while he was sleeping. It's good for them to learn some common courtesy and reciprocity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)