Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grounding the baby.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
My son is 2 and going through terrible twos and as punishment when time out doesn't work we've been grounding him from things or activities. For example tonight he lost his toys around 8 and will not get them back until tomorrow morning. He's also not going to go out to eat with his father tomorrow like what was planned either because he was throwing food on the floor and spitting earlier and would not stop after he was told to and given time out.
Is this method too harsh for a two year old? My family thinks so. They say he's too young to understand.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
georgiagurl8648
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:56 AM
3 moms liked this
I would not stop him from going out to eat. He is 2 years old. Punishment that last more than a day or really a few hours is basically pointless.
sugieboogieboo
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM
I think at 2 he's too young for future punishment, ie missing out in something tomorrow or later. They just don't understand once tomorrow comes that it's affected by something they did yesterday. Losing toys "right now" is better.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM
3 moms liked this
He 2, cause and effect isn't understood yet.

Instead of punishing him focus on teaching him how to do the correct thing. Keep redirecting and distracting as well.

Their impulse and emotional control centres are severely under developed. Focus on teaching impulse and emotional control techniques.

Only use natural and logical consequences if anything. You throw a you I take it away because you can't use it properly.
You refuse your food? You don't eat. Etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:04 AM
Wayyyy to young.

Discipline has to be immediate at that age.

If he was throwing food then he doesn't eat simple as that. You have to make the consequence fit the crime.

Also instead of continuing to tell him no, physically take away the food and redirect his attention right away. 2 year olds are still learning to listen and how to control their impulses. That's something they need to be taught, not something they automatically know.
MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Future punishments really don't have any effect on a child that young.

How's he going to remember and connect his behavior the night before to not being able to go out to eat with Daddy the next day?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Time outs are my go to and making sure the consequence fits the offense.  If he threw food, he would be dismissed from table immediately and put in a 2 minute time out.  Dinner would be tried again with him in an hour after that.  When you do time outs, do you explain why he was placed there or do you just tell him to go time out w/o saying why?

FoxFire363
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:53 AM
This. My 2 year old's toys occasionally go "in time out." For example, if he throws his truck at the tv we put it up out of his teach and tell him he lost it because he was playing with it too roughly and can have it back when he is ready to play nicely with it. Once he agrees to play nicely with the toy, it is returned. If he throws it again, it goes away for the rest of the day (this is also explained when the toy is returned). It works very well. He's only lost a toy for the day twice, when we first started doing this.

Quoting sugieboogieboo: I think at 2 he's too young for future punishment, ie missing out in something tomorrow or later. They just don't understand once tomorrow comes that it's affected by something they did yesterday. Losing toys "right now" is better.
redneck.crazy
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:15 AM
*smh*

Grounding a 2 yr old? He doesn't even understand what that means.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:19 AM
He won't remember tomorrow. He is still really little.
polkaspots
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:20 AM
I doubt your two year old will remember this tomorrow. The toys are acceptable, and time outs are as well. But for a kid that young punishment needs to happen quickly or it's just mean and pointless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)