• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should Welfare recipients be drug tested?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

What's you opinion? I am writing a paper for school, so please let me know what you think and why!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this
No Florida proved it not work and a total waste of money and time and resources
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Oh I had no idea they tried it. I will have to look that up, thanks!

Quoting Anonymous: No Florida proved it not work and a total waste of money and time and resources

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Drug tests are easy to pass. Fake urine, someone else's urine, tests that clean your system within a matter of hours, etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM

What about hair follicle tests? aren't those harder to fake?

Quoting Anonymous: Drug tests are easy to pass. Fake urine, someone else's urine, tests that clean your system within a matter of hours, etc.

Qzx
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:09 AM
I don't think it's an efficient use of the state's money. Maybe if they suspected drug use, but to drug test every single recipient is way too expensive and time consuming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StrongYoungMom
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:13 AM
No if they were testing all recipients, they would be testing and humiliating many innocent people who just need financial help
Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:14 AM
3 moms liked this
In the case of Florida, they tried it and hardly anybody failed the drug test. It ended up costing way more money than what they would have paid out in benefits to the people who did fail. Also, the politician who promoted this idea was a part owner of the lab where the testing was done, meaning he made tons of money off the tests.
trtlsoup
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:14 AM

In a perfect world (where you can't buy pee on a street corner or use your own kid's...) ,yes. But it's not cost efficient and there are too many ways to cheat the system. 

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this
No. When they drug test politicians I'll consider it.

It's a monumental waste of money, time and effort. It's all for show. Florida spent millions and didn't save a damn dime. It's an invasion of privacy some degree and it really doesn't accomplish much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:15 AM
Not if you shave your hair off. And I'm fairly sure they'd be violating some constitutional rights to have a rule that one can't cut their hair in order to get welfare.

Quoting Anonymous:

What about hair follicle tests? aren't those harder to fake?

Quoting Anonymous: Drug tests are easy to pass. Fake urine, someone else's urine, tests that clean your system within a matter of hours, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)