Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well you don't hear this every day.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hospital Sued For Amputating Penis During Circumcision

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama man who went to the hospital for a routine circumcision says doctors mistakenly amputated his penis.

Johnny Lee Banks Jr. of Birmingham and his wife, Zelda Banks, filed the lawsuit Tuesday. They're suing the hospital, doctors and others for medical malpractice.

The lawsuit says Banks went to Princeton Baptist Medical Center in Birmingham last month for a circumcision. The suit alleges the man's penis was gone when he awoke.

The suit says that the mistaken amputation has caused the man extreme pain, and that his wife also is suffering.

The suit names the hospital, a urology group, a medical clinic and two doctors as defendants. It's seeking an unspecified dollar amount.

A hospital spokeswoman says the claims lack merit.

Others defendants didn't return messages seeking comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/johnny-lee-banks-penis-amputation_n_5618067.html

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mumof2ferals
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Wtf

amc103
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Whoa..... 

KykysMomma1128
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Ya I feel sorry for the poor guy and his wife.

Quoting amc103:

Whoa..... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Yikes! I'd love to hear the rest of the story, though. Was it an accident or a misunderstanding?

KykysMomma1128
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:07 AM

I would too. I believe it was an accident. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yikes! I'd love to hear the rest of the story, though. Was it an accident or a misunderstanding?

jteffs
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:09 AM
3 moms liked this

How does this "lack merit" ?? Either he has a penis or he doesnt?!!?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Maybe there was an additional complication of some kind that made this a known risk. Maybe the procedure was being done for a certain reason- removing a lesion or something- and the man was told that there was a possibility that once they got in there they'd find out it was more extensive than they thought and have to do an amputation. Maybe he misunderstood what he was consenting to because he was illiterate and too embarrassed to as questions (which I suggest because this has and does happen) 

Quoting jteffs:

How does this "lack merit" ?? Either he has a penis or he doesnt?!!?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)