Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it the store employees responsibility?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
Someone I know had an issue at a store. Her child was sitting in the child seat of a shopping cart and somehow managed to get his arm stuck in the slats of the cart behind him. The child (14 months old) was in pain and crying. Her, her DH, and mother were all trying to get his arm out. She eventually did get it out but was upset that the employees didn't run to her aid and try to help. She has brought it to management, corporate and risk management. She is upset that the store is not more concerned and now wants to have all of the shopping carts changed so this doesn't happen again.
I told her it isn't store employees jobs and they are afraid to be sued.
Do you think 1. Employees should have helped, 2. Management should have taken it more seriously, and 3. She should put up a big fuss about it?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clishmaclaver
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think the associate HAD to help, but what kind of person doesn't pop in and say "hey, is everything okay". Perhaps a class on courtesy for the employees would be in order. I don't think the lady should have went up the entire ladder to complain about an accident that happens sometimes, or that employees didn't help, seeing as there were 3 adults there already. I've worked retail, that's really not a common occurrence. Lol
momto3B
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I have to believe that the store employees WANTED to help, but to your point, were afraid of potentially losing their jobs. 

With 3 adults present, how on earth did a 14 month that should have been strapped in to his cart seat, gain access to the cart behind him? 

TaralynnStewart
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Considering there were three adults already assisting what more could the employee do? Tell your friend there is this new invention (eye roll) called shopping cart covers
amandajoy21
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM
4 moms liked this
Why would that be an employees responsibility? As the parent it is your job to ensure your children are properly and safely secured into the child seat in a cart. It would be one thing if the cart was broken and the employee didn't pull it from the floor but failure to watch your kids is on the parent in a public place.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Are store employees trained in something like that? Nope. And with 3 adults already trying to fix it, more people would not have been any more help. Plus, if the child had gotten seriously hurt, they would have blamed the employees and sued the store.
T-Rentsmommy06
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Yep. And hey may even next time keep an eye on the kid. Mine slips out of the belt and I know this, so I keep and extra eye on him.

Quoting TaralynnStewart: Considering there were three adults already assisting what more could the employee do? Tell your friend there is this new invention (eye roll) called shopping cart covers
kss12
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Something like this happened to ds2 a couple weeks ago. He was sitting in a car cart (bigger cart with forward facing seats) and I turned the corner and he fell forward and busted his nose on the handle of the regular cart, I looked to see if maybe I hadn't buckled him in right, turns out the buckle on one side was broken. I just let the store associates know there was something wrong with that buckle and they took it off the floor and were going to fix it. They asked if I wanted to file an incident report and I said no.
I don't get why some people make such a huge deal out of things. Kids are resilient and get hurt 24/7.
Honestly, some people are weird about other people touching their kids, so if I worked there id probably ask if they needed help but I wouldn't come over there with a big Vaseline tub and cloves to get the kids arm out.
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM

It's not like the employees take a course in how to remove stuck limbs from a cart, they were no more qualified than the 3 adults already assisting. Common courtesy after the fact, asking if everything was ok, would have been the right thing to do. But, it was not the stores responsibility.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:27 AM
My daughter did this not once but twice. Toddlers are inquisitive creatures, once was her leg at Kmart staff ran for a bolt cutter but a customer pulled the bars apart before they got back. Second time was her handat walmart , employees went for oil and subway brought ice. It only takes a second.
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM

What more could the employees have done? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)