Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM
  • 28 Replies

My son (he's almost 2 years old) started daycare about 2 weeks ago. Either dad or I will take him to daycare between 7:30-10:00am. He always cries bloody murder every morning leaving me and only cries a little bit leaving dad. Then when I go to pick him up about 5:45pm he's freaking out. When we get home he won't stop crying or just wanting mommy until he eats. He doesn't want anything to do with dad.

Does anyone know why this might be? Do you think the daycare is just not feeding him enough? I have tried bringing snacks and a bottle with me when I go to pick him up and he still freaks out until he eats actual food.

Forgot to mention:
He was in a different daycare for about a month and never cried when I'd pick him up. He'd wave and say hi to passing vehicles. Although he was only part time then.
I work 9-1 and do 12 hours of job hunting a week. (I am on a job site which teaches me skills I need through a program my state offers and need to be able to find a different job).

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
It's an adjustment period. Is he crying AT daycare once you're gone, or does he interact and play?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg! This is why I can't put ds in. That would break my heart!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM
The food might be a comfort to him. Ask how his behavior is while he's there. If you were a SAHM he might really especially having a difficult transition.
CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

First, it takes some time for kids to get used to daycare and being left. For some kids, it can take up to a month or more. My suggestion would be to NOT linger when dropping him off and establish a drop off routine (for us, I would walk DD in and as we are walking in I ask her "how much do I love you" and she answers "SOOOOO much" and then I ask her "for how long" and she answers "always, always" and then gives hugs and kisses). Make it consistent.

Secondly, I wouldn't give too much thought at her favoring you or daddy at certain times of the day. It's natural for kids to do that.

I would, however, just talk to the daycare provider about food and snacks. It's possible that he may not be eating enough or simply does not want to eat, which is what DD sometimes does. If anything, when picking him up make sure to bring a small snack for him to eat. It's a tough transition, but hang in there Mama.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I would go to the daycare unexpectedly and show up during "feeding" time..and see what he's up to. 

I honestly don't have anything good to say about daycare- we had terrible experiences- but that's not saying that EVERY daycare is bad. But, like i said- the daycare should have open door policy...just show up and take a peek to see what he's up to.

Mommatoobe
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Drop him off at daycare give him a hug and walk away. I have worked in various day care centers and run an in-home daycare. For the first time daycare children the rule is five minutes in and out drop your child off and leave the sooner you leave the sooner they stop crying. Do not stand in the daycare for 510 1520 minutes holding your screaming child trying to console them it makes it worse. If you do the drop and run within two weeks your child. Will stop Crying.
The whole food thing is a comfort next mechanism and that is how you get obese children
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM
That is a very long time for a young child to be in daycare. Maybe he misses you? Not trying to make you feel bad, I'm sure he's ok when you're gone but when he sees you it makes him upset.
happynewyorker
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM

this is part of growing up.  My daughter did this for a couple of months. She cried when we leave and not five minutes later she was fine.  Many children go through this.  I had someone watch my daughter at home for 2 year, she did it when she was around 1.  It goes away. 

With regard to the day care and not feeding, that's a question to discuss with them. 

Remember mom, you carried your child for almost 10 months.  You are everything to them.  Your voice, your smell, your touch, everything is what you child wants.  Mom's are important at this age.  Wait until your son goes through another change and wants to do things with just dad.

I found this website helpful when I had my daughter (10 years ago).  Babycenter.com - they provide helpful growing information for children. 

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM
It does take time to adjust. I work in childcare & see kids of all ages who have never been in childcare before have a hard time adjusting. I suggest bringing in favorite comfort items (blanket, pillow, or stuffed animal) from home as the center will allow. Maybe even a picture book of your family for the teachers to allow your child to look at during down time.

Not to freak you out but my now 11yo DS had a very hard time adjusting when he was 2. .hr had been with me as I was a SAHM since before he was born. He cried the entire day for a month after starting! Once his adjustment period was over he was the happiest child there! Each child is different. Some may take longer that others (my DS was a rare case lol). Sometimes the infant I get are older infants (older than 7 months) & it's really hard on them if they have been with mom or grandma up until then. No one comforts a baby like mom or grandma. I have seen it take a few weeks to get adjusted. It just takes routine.
NoahsMommy10412
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM

No. Once I leave and he doesn't see me there anymore he's fine. He'll play with the other kids.
He was in a different daycare for about a month and never cried when I'd pick him up. Although he was only part time then. 

Quoting Anonymous: It's an adjustment period. Is he crying AT daycare once you're gone, or does he interact and play?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)