Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tried to do the right thing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Last night a bike was thrown up into our yard. We wouldn't have noticed until this morning, but dh was taking out the garbage and saw it. The chain was blown, but other than that was in decent condition. It even had new tires.

Since we live off the beaten path and know the kids who live here, we know it isn't one of theirs. But some people will come up or street thinking it is a short cut, which it isn't, to get to the housing behind us.

So, we called the police to report we found it because more than likely it was silken and when the chain blew the thief abandoned it. The police showed up, he 100% agreed with us, but wouldn't take the bike.

He said if he took it on that late it would get lost in the paperwork and literally shoved back in their storage and forgotten about. He did run a check to see if anyone had reported a stolen bike during the evening and no one had yet.

He told us to leave it near the edge of or yard where it could be seen so if the owner was looking they could still see it and it it was still here in 2 days to call him back out and he would impound it then.

So now if it disappears we have no way to know if it is the owner who takes it. :(

Wanted to do the right thing and it still doesn't feel right.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Post flyers for a found bike. Give yoyr # and if someone calls and can describe it accurately let them have it.
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM

i would just hold onto it and call the police back in 2 days like he said and impound it or see if someone reported it. I wouldnt leave it out on my lawn.

happynewyorker
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM

You did the right thing, you informed the police.  Don't let it get to you. What do you think you were going to do sit near the bicycle and see who comes to retrieve it.  Maybe that person that left it came for it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM
We asked him about doing that and he said not to because we would have nuts calling us. So he suggested after he takes it in 2 days to post some and say call the station

Quoting got2monsters: Post flyers for a found bike. Give yoyr # and if someone calls and can describe it accurately let them have it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
We thought about doing that, but he's been coming more often up the street. So if he doesn't see it for 2 days, but we call him and day it's still here would look fishy to him.

Quoting JackAttacks:

i would just hold onto it and call the police back in 2 days like he said and impound it or see if someone reported it. I wouldnt leave it out on my lawn.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Maybe post signs that you found it or something

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)