Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goodwill, Salvation Army, Yard Sales, etc.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM
  • 68 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just recently started coming back to CM so if this post has been done before, sorry, I missed it.

I was just wondering if anyone was uncomfortable shopping at consignment stores, yard sales, etc.?

I am all for it. I always go to our local Goodwill for school clothing, and we have many facebook groups here that sell their used items. I just got most of my son's school clothes on there for $40! Some still had tags on them!

I know some other people feel differently about used clothes so I just want to know your opinion and why!

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dolcepsle
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM
I hope people aren't uncomfortable. I just did a purge and donated 3 bags or clothing and I still have over 300 pieces to sell.
autiemama516
by autismmommy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM

No I have 4 kids and almost everything comes from Salvation Army,Goodwill, Yard sales etc. The only new things they get are socks/undies and sneakers.

rachael060714
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Wow, that's awesome! When I do that, I donate most of it, but sometimes (if it is a lot of kid's jeans or something), I will put it on one of yard sale sites on Facebook and sell them! I love it.

Quoting Dolcepsle: I hope people aren't uncomfortable. I just did a purge and donated 3 bags or clothing and I still have over 300 pieces to sell.

cymkare
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I am the same way you are. I believe in buying used. There is very little that can't be washed/cleaned. I shop at all those places plus flea markets and ebay. 

Why waste money? I really don't understand people who have to have everything new. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Used clothing skeeves me out. It's a quirk of mine.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I don't have the patience for most of the thrift stores around here. They are just too big.

But I have bought furniture there (most recently a dresser), and I don't have anything against the clothes. I just hate digging through racks.

However, I love a local place called Clothes Mentor, more reasonably sized and a little bit nicer (sort of a consignment type shop, except they buy and sell outright). I found a semi formal LBD and heels for $20 for a dinner last year.

mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM
I love thrift stores and yard sales.
zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I don't like yard sales, but I love Goodwill, Mission Possible and the Salvation Army thrifts.

rachael060714
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM

That's awesome! The only shoes I have been able to find at one of these places in the last couple of years are cleats for tball. I always miss the good tennis shoes. Lol.

Quoting autiemama516:

No I have 4 kids and almost everything comes from Salvation Army,Goodwill, Yard sales etc. The only new things they get are socks/undies and sneakers.

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Love my consignment stores and other places like Goodwill and Savers. I've actually found a lot of really cool knick-knacks and even antiques for our home at places like this along with clothes.

Yard sales are iffy but I do love going to them if I find them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)