Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dental Work before School

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

My SO's daughter (4) will be starting pre-k this year.  I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen if she starts school with bad teeth.  Her front four are completely rotted (there is no saving them) and her incisors are rotting away at the top.  I think it's because of bottle rot, but I haven't been around long enough to know how long they have been like that.  I have asked him several times about taking her to the dentist, and if he is going to make sure that she goes before she starts school, but as of yet, she hasn't gone.  He works during the day, her mother works at night but neither of them has made a move to take her to the dentist.  I offered to take her myself, but was told that it wouldn't work because she will probably need to have surgery and one of her parents need to take her.  They both are kind of acting like its not a big deal, which I completely don't understand.  And he acts likes he's offended when I keep saying something about it.

Will the school get involved if they send her to school with her teeth like that?  I feel like they should if that will give them enough of a kick in the pants to take her to the dentist.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor baby. Why don't you take her and at least get info. Chances are they won't do the surgery right then and there. I would just do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I think I may have too, otherwise I don't see it getting done...school starts next month and its really bad.  I just don't understand how they can just let it go on like that....smh.  It kind of makes me wonder about his priorities too...like you wouldn't walk around with your mouth like that so why do your let your child walk around with hers like that?

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Oh, poor little one. I believe that can be considered medical neglect, and if she is enrolled in school, they would be required by law to report that. You need to get it into SO's head that this is serious... if the school reports it, he can be in a lot of trouble. Even if that's not true, maybe it will be enough to get him to take her!!

AZHOTMOM
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

School will prob not do anything. However, she needs to go to a dentist, ASAP. It will hurt her permanent teeth if they don't do anything. I have horrible teeth, always have. I live at the dentist just to maintain. Having bad teeth is no fun, but she needs to be seen.

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
School probably won't do anything. And unless you have power of attorney, guardianship or custody of her, you can't take her to the dentist. They won't see her if you do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
This is a red flag. Don't reproduce with him.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think I may have too, otherwise I don't see it getting done...school starts next month and its really bad.  I just don't understand how they can just let it go on like that....smh.  It kind of makes me wonder about his priorities too...like you wouldn't walk around with your mouth like that so why do your let your child walk around with hers like that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

That's something I have been worried about too.  I think you can call CPS because of it, I'm not 100% sure, but that would be awful, to be investigated over something that can be easily taken care of.  I'm gonna mention that tonight and see what he says.  I may even just schedule an appointment and tell him where and when he needs to be there, and to get her insurance card from her mom.  

Quoting Superlaura328:

Oh, poor little one. I believe that can be considered medical neglect, and if she is enrolled in school, they would be required by law to report that. You need to get it into SO's head that this is serious... if the school reports it, he can be in a lot of trouble. Even if that's not true, maybe it will be enough to get him to take her!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

No worries there, lol.  I'm not reproducing with anyone unless God has a trick up his sleeve (my tubes are tied)

Quoting Anonymous: This is a red flag. Don't reproduce with him.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Poor baby. I wouldnt be able to be with someone who didnt care about their childrens health. I would ask if I could take her as long as both parnets say that is fine.

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, if were one or two bad teeth, I am sure the school wouldn't make a thing about it, but that's pretty much every tooth that is visible when she smiles! :( If I were a school nurse, I'd report that... there's no reason for it to be that bad. You shouldn't have to do that for him (he should be concerned enough to do it himself!), but in this case, I would go ahead and schedule the appointment for her as well, just so it gets done. Good luck!!

Quoting Anonymous:

That's something I have been worried about too.  I think you can call CPS because of it, I'm not 100% sure, but that would be awful, to be investigated over something that can be easily taken care of.  I'm gonna mention that tonight and see what he says.  I may even just schedule an appointment and tell him where and when he needs to be there, and to get her insurance card from her mom.  

Quoting Superlaura328:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)