Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What chores does your child/children have and how long does it take them to do it?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM
  • 39 Replies

My older 3 children have chores and it takes them less than 30-40 minutes out of the day to do them.

They all have the same chore sets just different days. Everyday they all have to make up their beds and straighten up their rooms. Then one day they have laundry, one day is cleaning up their bathroom, one day is trash day and one day is sweeping the house (we have all hardwoods). That leaves 3 days a week where all they have to do is make up their bed and straighten their room before bed. They are 10, 8 and 6.

My youngest 2 are 3 (in 2 weeks) and 6 months. So they really dont have chores just yet. Even though my almsot 3 yr old makes up his bed and we help him pick up his toys.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NCJen84
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM

bump

lapcounter
Amazing weekend, now to plan our next getaway.....
Today at 10:39 AM
by Race Mom on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Clean their rooms, fold laundry, feed the animals and make their beds. 30 minutes if that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 12, 8, and 6, and we rotate chores as well! Stuff like feeding the pets, cleaning the table before/after dinner, cleaning their rooms, sweeping/vacuuming, loading the dishwasher... doesn't take more than 15 minutes a day.

AZHOTMOM
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Their chores change weekly, they rotate. Laundry, floors, empty the dishwasher, pets, trash and recycle. But no matter what is on the list it takes them no more than 20-30 minutes at most and that is if they go really slow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Today they spent about an hour cleaning but I made them clean the playroom after having friends over. Most days it's straightening rooms, the playroom, their bathroom, and they help clean up the living room and take turns doing dishes. It takes them 45 minutes max.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM
We don't do chores here per say. They pick up 3 times a day wipe down whatever needs it everyday and make their bed. I only do deep cleaning every other week which we all go room to room to do. I also do laundry daily so they have to put their clothes up everyday. My house stays clean we all combined only clean about 30 min a day. Deep cleaning takes about 3 hours because we re organize as well when we do it.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM
DS is expected to clean up after himself and take care of the pets. He's responsible for his room and bathroom. I go in after him in the bathroom though. He's 6.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM
They feed the fish or dog. Thwy choose which one, make their beds, put their dishes in the sink every meal, and pick up their toys. They are 2 and 3 and i help with all but the toys. The toys take them 10 mins tops depending on how long they choose to drag their feet, and everything else 30 seconds.
phoebe81
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM

My kids are required to make their beds every morning, pick up anything on the floor and put away their clothes, if there's any laundry to put away. I also give them an additional random chore each day, depending on what needs to be done that day. After that, they read for 30 minutes and once all that is done, they're free to do whatever they want.

ETA: My kids are 6 and 7.

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you born, I loved you. Before you were an hour, I would die for you. This is the miracle of love."

teenkabear
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM

My 3 kids have a decent amount of chores, and they have had them since I got custody of them about 3 1/2 years ago.  They are now 14, 13 & 11.

We have a chore chart, and what they are responsible for changes depending on the day.

Here are the things they are responsible for:

Keeping their rooms & bathrooms tidy

Washing dishes

Wiping down counters

Sweeping/Mopping

Picking up/Organizing the common areas

Vacuuming

Taking out trash

So all that stuff gets divided by 3, and changes depending on the day.

It takes them between 30 minutes - 1 hour per day, depending on what they have to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)