• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have PTSD that is not from military service?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD from childhood and spousal abuse.  Basically a life time of abuse and I thought I was dealing with it very well, I was wrong.

I also thought PTSD was for military service members only.  Apparently I was wrong.  I get violent, especially when someone scares me by accident or there are loud noises.  Especially when it is dark.  What made me seek help is my step son came up behind me while I was doing dishes and he scared me and I turned around and punched him in the chest, hard, knocking him to the ground.  He is 17.  

Any tips, suggestions, experiences?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM

BUMP!

Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM
My oldest (age 8) has PTSD from his dad abusing him. I have it from being raped twice. It's not solely for military members. Best advice I can give is to find what help you to cope. My thing is completely immersing myself into my kiddos lives. My husband has PTSD from his military service. He does the quite know what his things to cope are. :(
FoxFire363
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Yes. I have it from abuse and rape. The main tips I can give you are to go to therapy, learn to identify your triggers, don't be ashamed to explain them to your family (my dd has learned not to sneak up and hug me from behind for example), and ask your therapist to help you learn coping strategies. The things I learned in therapy are very valuable to me. I am back on medication now, but I was able to go med free for three years just using what I learned in therapy after a while. Knowing your triggers is key. I avoid mine when I can, but when I can't, recognizing that it's a trigger helps me cope. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I'm sorry your little guy suffered and has to deal with PTSD.  It is not fun.  I am thinking of hobbies I can immerse myself into.  

Quoting Ninjascreenname: My oldest (age 8) has PTSD from his dad abusing him. I have it from being raped twice. It's not solely for military members. Best advice I can give is to find what help you to cope. My thing is completely immersing myself into my kiddos lives. My husband has PTSD from his military service. He does the quite know what his things to cope are. :(

Pinkmommy0211
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM
I have it from bein raped.

Most rape victims get it, so who ever told you it's foe military only is crazy.

You need to get counseling.
wicked_tink
by twinkie humper on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM
I was diagnosed with ptsd in 2004...All I can say is take it one day at a time and be around supportive people if any... I'm sorry you went through all of that :( Stay strong love
Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Learn self hypnosis. Explain to people how certain things cause you to freak out. Stuff like that. I have been diagnoses with PTSD, relating to the experiences I endured with my bio father. As a result, I get creeped out in car dealerships, at the smell of certain hair gel, and a certain looking type of man. Hearing my father's voice, even on his comercials, or seeing photos of him, causes me to become physically ill. When I am under a large amount of stress, I have dreams where he tries to come and visit my children, and I become violent in my sleep. Stuff like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I think I'm going to have to write a lot of things down, to figure out my triggers.  Right now, there is no rhyme or reason to what will set me off.  I just know I can't keep hurting people.  Last night DH and I were in the hot tub and he hugged me from behind and I flipped out thinking he was trying to drown me.  

Quoting FoxFire363: Yes. I have it from abuse and rape. The main tips I can give you are to go to therapy, learn to identify your triggers, don't be ashamed to explain them to your family (my dd has learned not to sneak up and hug me from behind for example), and ask your therapist to help you learn coping strategies. The things I learned in therapy are very valuable to me. I am back on medication now, but I was able to go med free for three years just using what I learned in therapy after a while. Knowing your triggers is key. I avoid mine when I can, but when I can't, recognizing that it's a trigger helps me cope. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM

No one told me, I just assumed.  I'm in counseling now.  Today is the first time he felt comfortable enough to give me a diagnosis.  

Quoting Pinkmommy0211: I have it from bein raped. Most rape victims get it, so who ever told you it's foe military only is crazy. You need to get counseling.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Thank you, I'm sorry you have suffered also.

Quoting wicked_tink: I was diagnosed with ptsd in 2004...All I can say is take it one day at a time and be around supportive people if any... I'm sorry you went through all of that :( Stay strong love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)