• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Vine user records employees stalking him

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

Vine User Blasts Employees Following Him Around Stores In Best Possible Way

The Huffington Post  | By
Posted: 07/22/2014 5:20 pm EDT Updated: 07/22/2014 5:59 pm EDT
Print Article
RASHID POLO SHOPPING
Vine / Rashid Polo

While shopping in a series of convenience stores, Vine user Rashid Polo realized that something was up: the store employees around him were ostensibly hard at work, bending to rearrange products for sale, busying themselves with drink machines, but they kept popping up wherever he went.

This phenomenon was not a new experience for Polo, and no matter where he was or what he was doing, it seemed he was guilty of only one crime: shopping while black.

So he came up with the brilliant idea to catch the clerks on camera and uploaded the resulting videos to Vine.

"[The employee] been following me around the store the whole time," he explains in one, but before he can continue, his camera lens catches her close behind him once again.

"There she goes!" he says. "She thinks I'm stealing."

A number of African-Americans have experienced the perils of shopping while black, including a few very famous folks. President Barack Obama has shared stories about being followed in department stores when he was young. Last year, a Swiss clerk refused to show Oprah Winfrey a handbag because it would "cost too much."

But when people who aren't presidents or media moguls are discriminated against, the incident tends to go on unchecked. But Polo's vines put his experience -- and the experiences of so many others -- center stage, and he took to Twitter to say how happy he was his videos could make even the smallest difference.

**click on the link to watch his Vines**

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/22/rashid-polo-shopping-while-black-vine_n_5610667.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
armywifey1983
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM
I want to see the price tag of the bag that would be too much for Oprah lol.
On topic, good for him. Labelling him a thief for his color is not appropriate. White, black, whatever, a thief is not a race.
armywifey1983
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:48 PM

No kidding! She could drop a wad of $ ten times my rent amount for a bag and not even bat an eye. You'd think that having someone like Oprah shopping at your store would give you serious bragging rights.

Quoting Anonymous: I want to see the price tag of the bag that would be too much for Oprah lol. On topic, good for him. Labelling him a thief for his color is not appropriate. White, black, whatever, a thief is not a race.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Eh, I'm white and have been followed around while innocently shopping. I guess I look like a thief?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)