• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad sleep habits: TV for 3yo, would you allow?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
My friend has a 3yo who is 'slow' developmentally. He is a loud rambunctious little guy who takes forever to wind down, so she lets him watch cartoons from 7p until whenever he decides to fall asleep. I already find this a terrible habit for a healthy child but to teach it to one with preexisting issues is beyond crazy. Now he never goes to sleep w/o TV. And it stays on all night so if he wakes it's there to lull back to sleep. He doesn't know how to on his own. Any thoughts on this? Do you do it?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Mine have done it since I can remember...they fall asleep with a tv on every night and I turn it off before I go to bed. I don't see it being any different then having some other form of comfort like a fan running or having a special blanket/stuffed animal to sleep with.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/017/c/5/leafes_divider_by_gewalgon-d55jolb.png    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/017/c/5/leafes_divider_by_gewalgon-d55jolb.png

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM

My niece and nephew were like that, needed the tv to sleep. Not sure if they still are. They're 11 and 12. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM
My dd falls asleep with her bear, milky, and tv every night. It's not actually harming her child. So none of your buisness.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM
My sons tv goes off at bedtime. I wouldn't leave it on like she does.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I made that mistake when my 8 year old was 3. I thought it would be easier. It made my life hell.

I had to break that habit real fast.
AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM

both my kids have had TVs & cable in their rooms before they were even Born.  there is NOTHING wrong with it.

they are now 7 & 5 and honestly could care less about TV.  they would rather be outside playing.  my 7 yo is ASD, and it was a life saver when he was a baby.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM
I am very much against TV in bedrooms.
Something my 6 yet old is very much against right now. But I stick to my guns. None of us have or will have one in our room so this will never be a problem.
I don't see why a kid needs one. It's so bad for them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No and I think its really lazy when parents do that. They might have good intentions, but it really messes up their kids sleep patterns.

ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM

We never had a tv in the kids rooms to begin with, my kids have the radio for noise.

MommyTo5Boys
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I don't allow any of my children under 13 to watch TV after dinner time so they are able to unwind. So watching it to fall asleep is a big NO in our home!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)