Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I will NOT be paying for you to live in the dorm

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 153 Replies
2 moms liked this
I can throw a rock from my driveway and hit one of the buildings of my DDs school.

The dorms are about $13,000 a year. That is more than we pay for the mortgage each year. No way am I paying all that money for her to live in the dorm. Well now (a month before school) she is saying that she will not be attending school because I wont pay for her to live in the dorm

I told her that if she even tries to pull that shit she will finding another place to live. I will not have her trying to control me. If she isnt in school she wont be living at home.

She knew this for years that we would pay for her tuition to go to this school anything more than that she would have to come up with herself. It is a great school and she always wanted to go to it anyway. She always knew we wouldnt be paying for the dorms.

Now she is just being a brat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't blame you.

rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM
4 moms liked this

I understand that, and that's really expensive. But try to think about it from her perspective: she's not going to get the experience of living in dorms like her school mates will, and that's probably incredibly disappointing. Is she going about it the wrong way? Yes. Most 18 year olds don't think things through. But try to be a little understanding.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Lol I don't blame you either
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM
9 moms liked this
Her 3 best friends are also living at home

If she wanted it bad enough she should have found a way to come up with the money

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I understand that, and that's really expensive. But try to think about it from her perspective: she's not going to get the experience of living in dorms like her school mates will, and that's probably incredibly disappointing. Is she going about it the wrong way? Yes. Most 18 year olds don't think things through. But try to be a little understanding.

ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM

then she needs to figure out how to pay for her dorms or schooling herself

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

In your situation I would not pay for the dorm either. You live right there. That is astronomical.  I would be telling my kids the same if we lived that close to a college.

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM
9 moms liked this

I don't understand your point of view.  At all.  I think dorm living (or on campus living) is something that every kid should experience.  It teaches these kids how to live on their own and stop relying on mommy for every little thing-material and emotional.  She could get a student loan.  She should get a student loan.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I'm puzzled that she picked a school so close to home - but I agree, she can come and go as she wants to right?

You have to let go of all curfews and things when she goes to school - my son attended a college one town over from our home.  He commuted and came in when he was done for the day/night, you are willing to do that right?  You are willing to overlook the fact that she might not come home and crash there right?  You are willing to understand that "dinner time" does not mean the same to her as it did when she was 12?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM
I dont blam you but I can understand how she feels she wants to full college experience not feeling like high school 2.0
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM
8 moms liked this
I lived in the dorm (same school) for a semester and I was begging my parents to let me come back because I hated it

If she wanted to live there she should have got a job to pay for it.

I dont think anyone SHOULD get a student loan

Quoting chalisa0:

I don't understand your point of view.  At all.  I think dorm living (or on campus living) is something that every kid should experience.  It teaches these kids how to live on their own and stop relying on mommy for every little thing-material and emotional.  She could get a student loan.  She should get a student loan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)