• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should He Have to Pay?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
Tonight my dad was trying to get validation that he is doing the right thing. He is trying to charge his dad (my grandfather) 20 dollars an hour for his time. My grandfather is almost 90 years old and in poor health. As is my uncle. Both have to see doctors often and have errands to run. Neither can drive anymore. My dad comes from a family of 8 kids and all but him and his older brother work. My dad retired last year.

Personally I think he's wrong. That's your family and they need your help. My parents are still well off money wise. So it's not like they need the money. I get saying hey can you help me out with gas here and then but 20 plus expenses he'd aquire? That's effed up. My grandfather could hire someone fulltime for that kind of money. I wish I could help my grandfather.

What do you think? Should a family member in need pay you 20 dollars an hour plus any expenses you aquire?
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ms.renae
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
That is so wrong of your dad how could he charge his own father
ms.renae
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
That is so wrong of your dad how could he charge his own father
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
I would never say that to my family and I'd honestly be screwed if they did that to me. I just had surgery can't go anywhere or do nearly anything for myself. I have to have daily wound packing changes and many other things, plus I'm pregnant so add that to the list of doctors appointments. If family were like that I'd owe my mother probably close to a thousand because even in the hospital my nurses didn't take care of me, and I'd now be racking up a bill at my aunts who is having to watch me while my family is on vacation. Your father is definitely in the wrong and manipulating a needy old man
Hubris_Huntsman
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Sorry, but unless your grandfather was a pretty bad father, your dad is not being a very good son.

fitegirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM
I could never do that to my dad!! I think that's wrong.
toopicky429
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM
$20/hr for what exactly? I'm a little confused by the OP. If your grandfather needs help around the house, he can probably get his insurance or Medicare to pay for home health services.
jamamama00
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Absolutely he should charge him if grandfather can afford to pay. If he is the brother doing the work then why should the siblings get off Scott free?
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Your dad kind of sucks =/

grannie_kel
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM

You have kids?  Does your dad like to spend any time with them?  Start charging him to do so. 

Sorry, but your dad is an ass. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Depends.... DH worked with his father, his father NEVER paid him for his last job (several thousands of dollars for labor). DH would definitely charge his father for help. (DH went to both unemployment office and labor board - neither would help - labor board doesn't consider it an issue to not be paid for work done when it is family)

With my family or MIL, we would definitely step in and help the best we could. Only ask for gas if absolutely needing it.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)