• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SIL refused because...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
SD went to church camp today and the counselors asked for the kids parents to have family members and friends to write the campers little encouraging notes. I asked my sil (sd's aunt) to write one and she was all about it, until she found out it was for church camp. She and her husband are atheists and she was mad enough when she found out she was going to church camp, but then she adamantly refused to write her a letter. I explained it didn't have to be religious in any way and that the purpose of the notes was just to let the campers know their family was thinking of them, missed , loved them and hoped they were having fun. She refused to write the note solely because it was for church camp. My SD has notes from everyone else except her aunt.I don't really understand what the huge deal with her writing a note is, regardless of where it goes.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RazzleMySpazz
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Well that's a bit nutty...

I'm an atheist, I would gladly write the letter for my hypothetical niece..

And I went to a church camp when I was child... For the most part I imagine it was pretty much the same as a non religious camp.... We swam, did archery, art projects, went on hikes... It was seventh day Adventist so the biggest down side was the lack of meat...

yorkiemum
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:24 PM

yeah i dont get it either

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM
It's pretty much the same, except for the worship activities in the evening.

Quoting RazzleMySpazz: Well that's a bit nutty...

I'm an atheist, I would gladly write the letter for my hypothetical niece..

And I went to a church camp when I was child... For the most part I imagine it was pretty much the same as a non religious camp.... We swam, did archery, art projects, went on hikes... It was seventh day Adventist so the biggest down side was the lack of meat...

MaryanneMac
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Well you SIL is a bit weird.  I would write it for my niece(s) or nephew(s) regardless.  It's not about the camp it's about the child.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM
It's your SIL's issue, not yours. She's nuts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM
That's exactly how I feel!

Quoting MaryanneMac:

Well you SIL is a bit weird.  I would write it for my niece(s) or nephew(s) regardless.  It's not about the camp it's about the child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
She really is.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: It's your SIL's issue, not yours. She's nuts.
jjames0991
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Childish. I am Atheist and I attend church functions all the time for friends and family. I joke and say i am going to catch fire when i walk in.
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM
I promise all us atheists aren't that stupid.
Canvas_says
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Strange, I am an atheist and yet my daughter just attended a week at a church camp.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)